Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Special education in public school for toddler

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 21 Replies

I have 2 sons on the autism spectrum, Anthony is 7 and has pdd-nos. He is doing wonderfully in school, 1st grade, but he had a rough start and we ended up having him repeat kidergarten. He was late to being diagnosed and never attended preschool. My youngest son, Aiden, has autism. He is 2 1/2 and is nonverbal. He is currently in a program to help kids with developmental delays, but those services end when he turns 3 in June. Our local school district offers a free preschool for children with developmental delays (3 and 4 year olds). There are supposed to be speech pathologists, physical and occupational therapists as well as special education teachers who work in the classroom with the children. Has anyone had a child in a program like this at a public school before kindergarten? I am so nervous about sending my youngest son. I am terrified with him being nonverbal. He also has never been away from my husband and or my parents and it scares me. Please share your exerience if any of your children have been in a program like this.

by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJsMom81507
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM

AJ wa diagnosed at 15 months old.  at 2 he started going to school 3 days a week 9-12.  he was non verbal as well.

at 3 he went to "public" school CPSE (they call it in NY) 5 days a week 9-3, he was now talking, more like echoing but still had words.  at 4 he stayed in the same school, and at 5 (CSE) he went into self contained K class in a general ed school and was pushed in 1-2 hours a day in a general ed classroom.

at 6 he still is in a self contained class, but still in the general ed school my DD will be attending next year.

i wouldnt worry.  but that is just me.  i wanted AJ to be around as many NT children as possible from the day he was diagnosed.

Stephanie3804
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Thank you so much. I guess I am nervous for him, but I want to do what's best for him. The school he will be going to is from 8am until 2:30pm, but in the program here you can start off slowly and work your way up to kindergarten.

Quoting AJsMom81507:

AJ wa diagnosed at 15 months old.  at 2 he started going to school 3 days a week 9-12.  he was non verbal as well.

at 3 he went to "public" school CPSE (they call it in NY) 5 days a week 9-3, he was now talking, more like echoing but still had words.  at 4 he stayed in the same school, and at 5 (CSE) he went into self contained K class in a general ed school and was pushed in 1-2 hours a day in a general ed classroom.

at 6 he still is in a self contained class, but still in the general ed school my DD will be attending next year.

i wouldnt worry.  but that is just me.  i wanted AJ to be around as many NT children as possible from the day he was diagnosed.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:48 PM

My now 5 year old triplets had the in home services until age 3.  Now they are on their 3rd year of the sped in school pre-school.  Next year they will start kindergarten at 6.  I too had much reservations about sending them for 3 years before kinder started, yet I alone could not catch up their developmental gaps and felt the school could at least serve them better.  We also have continued with private/hospital therapies in addition to the school services since they were under 1.  I guess I felt giving them as much intervention as I could gave them their best chance to start kinder as close to typical expectations.  We have also uncovered more dx for each child as the years have gone on that should lead us to a good placement for them come kinder next year.  My oldest was a NT child, and we did not have all this for him, but he also did not need it.  I think each kid is different.  You can always pull him out if you are not happy. 

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:23 PM

My son is also 2 1/2, so he is technically still in the early intervention program, but we were blessed with an oppurtunity for him to be placed in a preschool class a year early (it's the same as what he'll be getting at age 3 and 4) and he's doing absolutely wonderfully. He's verbal, but his language is not very functional (he cannot answer questions or talk about his day, he mostly just labels objects). He's made incredible progress since he started in September and he absolutely loves the program. He runs away from me whenever I go to pick him up. I think that he would live there if he could :)  

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:26 PM
My 4 yr old has been in the special Ed preschool 3 times a week for a couple months now. He wasn't diagnosed until he was almost 4. So, that is why he wasn't there when he was 3. We tried but they didn't think he needed it until we got the diagnosis.

I have seen him excel so much with the preschool. It is only half day 3x a week, but I also have him in a private preschool 2x a week half day. He loves going to school.
Stephanie3804
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Thanks ladies! I am feeling better about sending him.

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Dec. 31, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Yep. My ds also turned 3 in June (2 yrs ago) and went into the autism class at 3. He is doing great. He has ST and OT. They also offer PT, which ds doesn't require. Besides the autism class the have an early childhood education class (we don't call them special ed until they're older here. Don't ask) for those with developmental issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 5:07 PM

My son completed full time public preschool in 2 years.  He is now in typical kindergarten at 5 years and doing very well.  My son, Antonio enjoyed preschool a lot and loved his teachers, he still talks about them and wishing they were his teachers still but he likes his kindergarten teacher too now.  The great part of pre-k is you as the parent can watch your child in a pre-k during a class or a few more. 

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:20 PM

DS 6yo ASD did the Early Intervention,then at age 3 went into the school district special ed preschool.  2 1/2 hrs a day 4x a week.  He also qualified for 6wk summer school program every yr.  He is now in a self coontained Autism classroom w/8kiddos.  he has made so much progress-he is reading writing and douing Math at 1st grade level.  I'd highly reccommend  the preschool.  For the therapies,the social interactions w/teachers and kiddos.   I cried sending him to preschool the 1st day,bc I am a SAHM and I was soo worried bc he was barely talking,but he did fine.  Kindergarten started as full day 9am to 3:30pm at the huge elementary school,I thought he'd be too tired for full day,but he did fine,he always surprises me: )

N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:06 PM

1st year of preschool. 1st time away from me. Jacob cryed a few months. And he has autism so no talking. It got better as time went on he liked school. 2nd year he liked school same teacher but still cant /wont talk. He could say very little. He is now in kindergarten. He loves school and his teacher. And he is behing for his age but he does talk. 1st half of day he is with all special ed. After lunch his class joins another class that is not special ed. And he has finally meet most of his preschool goals. Still trying to work on potty training and talking. But his teacher says he is smart he just has a hard time with talking. And he has grown up so much this year. He gets his own breakfast at school. He goes to library to check out book. Even pe class he loves and they make sure not to leave him out cause he is in a wheelchair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)