Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How to Deal: PDD-NOS and Anxiety

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi everyone,

My name is Melissa and I am a new member. I have a high functioning preschool child with PDD-NOS. Lately, he has be having a lot of anxiety when going to school and around groups of people. The school has basically told me to get him checked out.  I don't feel right about giving him medication. Does anyone have any ideas?

by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
DACIA79
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:47 PM
You could schedule play dates and ease him into it. I don't know why they are making a huge deal lots of preschool children are like that
BDSMI
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Do not jump into medication. First I would start with looking at his day and his schedule . Maybe his schedule is too much for him.  Try to write out his day and look for changes that could be done to make his day easier for him.  Also have you changed his diet . Sometimes food can be triggers.  Last talk with your ped doctor and have a full evualtion done to rule out any medical issues that could be triggering this. 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Does he have sensory issues? Does he get OT? Id ask for someone to go in (a seit , OT or some other evaluator) to see how his day could be modified to make it easier. Does he have communication issues? does he struggle with sitting still, circle time, recess, transitions? At preschool age the environment needs to be modified to help him to succeed. IMO its TOO early for meds.
Id look at a few helpful books- the out of sync child (I honestly think he is most likely overwhemlmed sensorily and freaking out, not necessarily panic due to fear, but panic due to not being able to manage/control the situation).  and rasing a sensory smart child by beil. I also think perhaps a helpful place would be to visit http://www.sensorysmarts.com/ website for their helpful advice for school settings.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Welcome!

That is so normal! School causes anxiety in many children, not just ASD ones. Is he receiving any services thru the school? Any therapy dealing with sensory issues or social stories that will help him with this.
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:46 AM

check out a pre-school with smaller classes. It took mine nearly a year to get more comfortable with going to school and going in her class without a scene/clinging on for dear life.  I still only have her going part-time in the mornings.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Psychological drugs should not be given to children or teenagers.  Having him in reguler child psycological therapy can do wonders.  Picture therapy helps a lot for youngsters.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Hello & welcome :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)