Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

potty training please help

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son is 3 and is still in diapers he will sit on the toilet but cannot tell me when he needs to go and a lot of the time will throw a tantrum when i want him to go please help out of ideas
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Wish I could.  I have two 5 year olds still in diapers.  One has zero clue, and the other is more of a pee on command guy.  If you take him or tell him to go he will, but he will not instigate it on his own, and pooping seems to still be diaper only.  It's going to be a looooooong road to potty training in my house.  I've been at it with the triplets for 2 years already and one just got it done at like 4 years, 8 months. 

runofffeetmum
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 12:35 AM
U poor thing i feel for you. i hope it gets better for you soon. good luck
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:11 AM

I take her before school, once she gets home from school, about an hour and a half later before we get her sister from school, sometimes before nap and hubby takes her after nap, after dinner and before bed.  I let her play on the Ipad to make sure she stays on long enough to go and will give her about 5 to 10 minutes.  She will ask to go potty on occasion as well.

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel for you. My oldest didn't potty train til about 2 months ago. He's 7. My youngest will be 4 in February and no where ready to potty train. With my oldest it was a struggle sometimes to get him to sit on the toilet. We kept at it and still brought him every hour. The times he would fight not to sit on the toilet, we got him to sit while in clothes. That worked for him. Oddly enough he pooped on the toilet before pee. He didn't poop on the toilet because he told us. He pooped on the toilet because we would watch for his cues before he went poop in his diaper and when we noticed what he did beforehand, we brought him right to the toilet before he went in his diaper. Pee was a little harder for him and us. One night I brought him to bathroom, just to sit and he peed. I was so happy and jumping up and down when he went. He's been peeing and pooping since then. He goes on his own now and hasn't no accidents at home or in school. His teachers and aides were also a big help and took him to the bathroom while in school. We also did a reward chart and when he went pee or poop in the toilet he would get a sticker and a snack. When he filled up his paper with stickers, he was able to pick out a new toy. Good luck :-)

Noahs-Mom
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:44 PM

I have two boys 7 and 6yo my youngest is totally non-verbal. Both are potty trained.

I am not going to lie, we started working on it when my oldest was 18mo he is the only one who is overnight trained and that is recent.  It has been a LONG journey. But, it is possible. 

We started with a little potty, to get both boys to even sit on the potty it took a few months. But what I did was to put the little potty in the living room and put on a movie and have them sit on the potty. Then we moved it to the bathroom. 

We would take our oldest to the potty about every 30mins or more. When he would potty we would PRAISE and PRAISE we got a small candy despencer and would give one M&M. If he flushed the potty another one.  

Our youngest picked up the potty training by seeing us with his brother and his total need for candy. 

DONT give up keep going. Really, it took us 6 years. But we did it. 

offer undies with his favorite things. That helped with both boys.  

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Quoting Noahs-Mom:

I have two boys 7 and 6yo my youngest is totally non-verbal. Both are potty trained.

I am not going to lie, we started working on it when my oldest was 18mo he is the only one who is overnight trained and that is recent.  It has been a LONG journey. But, it is possible. 

We started with a little potty, to get both boys to even sit on the potty it took a few months. But what I did was to put the little potty in the living room and put on a movie and have them sit on the potty. Then we moved it to the bathroom. 

We would take our oldest to the potty about every 30mins or more. When he would potty we would PRAISE and PRAISE we got a small candy despencer and would give one M&M. If he flushed the potty another one.  

Our youngest picked up the potty training by seeing us with his brother and his total need for candy. 

DONT give up keep going. Really, it took us 6 years. But we did it. 

offer undies with his favorite things. That helped with both boys.  

Yup. Totally agree. Also, if he is having a tanturm going near the potty, don't force him. Lure him. Lure him in w/ something he *really wants*.

Its called "desensitization" therapy. So, you sit in the bathroom or near the kid potty. Not on it. Just next to him playing something fun. Do this for a few days until he associates being *near* the potty w/ something he really likes. Lots of praise just for sitting next to, being near the potty. Maybe the next time (days, weeks depending on the level of aversion he has to the potty) as soon as he is comfortable just being next to the potty, put a doll sitting on the potty and have him try to do the same as the doll. *IF* he does sit, lots of praise and a reward. 

if not, no biggie, just keep at it.

when he actually pee-pees in the potty, party time!

Good luck mom.

Oh and I also used this video as my son was sitting on the potty like Noahs-Mom suggested. He happened to really like the video. : http://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Potty-Him-DVD/dp/B0000CBLBC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1388619298&sr=8-6&keywords=potty+training+video

Once Upon a Potty... aw. brings back memories. :)

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:08 PM

First, is he ready to potty train?  Does he have a dry diaper during the week? Is he able to not poop during a nap?  Is he comfortable with a portable potty.  I used to leave the portable potty in the room my son was mostly in to get used to it.  Once I saw stickers on the potty I new he was ready.  When you see your child squatting, he needs to have a bowel.  When he is doing the potty dance he needs to pee.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Welcome to the group!  My son is 5 years old and isn't potty trained yet either.  If I put him on a potty he will go but he is nonverbal and can't tell me.

mamalena137
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Good luck mama, all I can say is small steps. My 5 year old still isn't potty trained and is limited verbally. I take him with me to the bathroom everytime I go. His school works on taking him at intervals (can't remember when). Yesterday I let him be naked all day and he kept going to pee in the potty, but he only does that when he's naked. He crouches over the toilet and faces the lid, it's pretty funny. I take every little step as a big step in the direction. Still working on getting him to do it when he has clothes on.

karenpx
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Hi there..Well done for praising... it is very important.. I had difficulty training my son and since I am a first time mom, I panicked and actually got some profesional help which really workes for me after 2 days. :) good luck training your child.. you are doing very well. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN