Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Do kids with autism get stuck in a routine that includes particular books/ movies, etc.?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:42 AM
  • 6 Replies

How do you truly know if it is their favorite book or movie or if it has just become a part of their routine? 

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:14 AM

I think it's both. Whatever D has been fascinated with...dinosaurs, Spongebob, Walt Disney, he will find a book or movie that he may stick to. I don't think it's part of his routine but just his favorite at the moment.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:42 AM

My son has his favorites, sometimes he moves on from them and others he still enjoys, like Angry Birds.  He is 5 now.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:35 PM

My son's routines are always changing. His true interests seem to stay around where his fixation moves to something new.

TXCatLady
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:36 AM

My son got fixated on anything Thomas the Train but he loved it and still does...however, his new thing now is Angry Birds.....it is a bit more than most kids when he gets into something....next week he goes back to school and has to wear a uniform but at least he will be able to wear his angry bird shoes lol...when he first got so fixated on Thomas he would not wear anything but Thomas shirts and would have a meltdown if you put anything else on him..took a lot of work to get him to wear a different shirt...he is starting to do the same thing with Angry Birds but not as bad...I am ready for him to go back to school where he has to wear a uniform :)

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Jonathan's is numbers and letters. He doesn't care where he finds them but loves to just look at them. He will randomly draw them in the air or on something with his fingers. As for movies or books he doesn't let us know what he wants to see. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Definitely both for my son!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)