Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

right place to move to with 11 year old son with autism

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:49 AM
  • 8 Replies

My husband and I are looking to relocate from Louisiana to either Maryland or Northern VA where we used to live before. Anyone has any advice on schools , therapies and so forth?Thanks.

by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:50 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 2, 2014 at 6:51 AM

Welcome to the group!  We live in southern VA and my son receives amazing services here:)  Good luck!

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jan. 2, 2014 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I live in northern Maryland and we get great services here too. The schools in harford county are great too!
erikadi
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know much about those areas, but  I would choose a medium or larger city since they tend to have more resources. 

TXCatLady
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Just my two cents from what I have heard but up North tends to have better resources/services in the public schools than down south...I would pick a Northern State if I were moving (I'm in the South). Services where I am at in TX are okay but my husband travels sometimes and people at his company who have kids up North get much better services for lower cost and free. The public schools here are known to play games to try to manage their budgets

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Quoting TXCatLady:

Just my two cents from what I have heard but up North tends to have better resources/services in the public schools than down south...I would pick a Northern State if I were moving (I'm in the South). Services where I am at in TX are okay but my husband travels sometimes and people at his company who have kids up North get much better services for lower cost and free. The public schools here are known to play games to try to manage their budgets

I dont know about "free"... Lol. Im up north and pay $19.5 in my annual tax for "free" education. Lol and they try to play games and manage their budget everywhere, ;) 

i hear taxes in other places and am soo jealous of the 15k a year people get to "keep". 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Sorry momma. I live in Tn and I wouldn't know about the services in those states. You could probably look online and see what is available in those areas. Or hopefully some other moms could be more helpful. Welcome to the group.

TXCatLady
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Here we pay property tax to support the schools and it is the highest part of my property tax every year...alone it is nearly 3000 so nothing is really free but services through the public schools are very limited and we have our little guy getting outside services which we have to pay for and even with health insurance we pay nearly 400 a month for therapy....I know my husband talked to a colleague in PA whose son gets free services through the schools and has sine he was 3..he is now 12 and they do ABA, speech and OT once a week for this kid who has mild autism.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)