Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What is the autism waiver?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 5:30 PM
  • 16 Replies

I thought I knew, but I was on their website and now I'm confused.

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
greenie63
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:13 PM

What state are you in? Not all states have the waiver and some have a waiting list. 

jeda1429
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM

No idea! But I'd like to know.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:19 PM

No idea to be honest!

greenie63
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I can explain it, my son had one when he still had an IEP (he's been released because of amazing progress but  still carries a 504 plan). 

As I said in my prior response, not every state has the autism waiver, Maryland is one that does. It's funded through Medicaid however it is not based on the parent's income. It allows for therapies for your child and as I said it's paid for through Medicaid. Therapies can often be denied (as my son's was through our insurance) because it is very costly. The school's IEP team will have you complete the forms for the waiver. 

This is from my state's autism waiver site: 

What is the Autism Waiver? 

The Autism Waiver is a Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) waiver. HCBS 

waivers offer services to people whose needs are great enough to be admitted to an 

institution in order to allow them to live at home or in home-like settings. A participant’s 

needs determine the HCBS waiver services that they should receive, so an Autism Waiver 

enrollee should receive any Waiver services that the child’s health care provider says are 

necessary. Do not be confused if the child’s Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) or 

Individual Education Plan (IEP) team may also plan the child’s Waiver services. Waiver 

services are not school services or special education services: they are supportive and 

rehabilitative services to be provided based on your child’s needs, whether the services 

are received at school or at home. A child’s right to receive a Waiver service is 

dependent on a finding that the child needs the service, based on appropriate assessment 

criteria that the State develops and applies fairly to all waiver enrollees. 

Autism Waiver Services 
The Autism Waiver makes the following services available to participants. Appendix A 
contains a full description of these services: 

Service Coordination assists a Waiver participant in gaining access to Waiver services 
and coordinating access with other services to assure that the child’s full range of 
needs is adequately met. The service coordinator should help a child access not only 
Waiver services, but also EPSDT and any other services that would help meet a child’s 
needs. 

Intensive Individual Support Services provide intensive, one-on-one interventions with the 
child up to 30 hours per week. 

Therapeutic Integration Services are a structured after-school program focusing heavily 
on expressive therapies and therapeutic recreational activities. 

Supported Employment Services provide intensive ongoing support of paid 
employment for older children. 
Respite Care is available in a child’s home or in youth camps for up to 168 hours in a 
12-month period. 

Environmental Accessibility Adaptations provide up to $1500 of home safety and 
accessibility improvements over 36 months. 

Family Training and counseling services are available regarding treatment regimens 
and use of equipment. 
krnelson04
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:31 PM
In Kansas. We're on the waiting list.

Quoting greenie63:

What state are you in? Not all states have the waiver and some have a waiting list. 

Paperfishies
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:32 PM
How do I find out if Kentucky has the waiver?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenie63
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Ok hopefully it won't be long. Are you paying for therapy now? The waiver wil cover services that you may have been paying for. My son recieved the waiver in 2003 and there wasn't a long waiting list, so he was fortunate but now it's a long list. 

Quoting krnelson04: In Kansas. We're on the waiting list.

Quoting greenie63:

greenie63
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Here's the site for Medicaid.gov. It goes by state and the different waivers. I looked quickly and didn't see a waiver for KY. I may be wrong though. If your child has an IFSP or an IEP ask the team lead. 

Quoting Paperfishies: How do I find out if Kentucky has the waiver?

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:59 PM
I hadn't heard of this... Good to know!
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Do you know if Tn has a waiver?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)