Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many moms can say this?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM
  • 28 Replies
4 moms liked this

A week ago we invested in a pup for our asd son. This is a 3 month old black lab with an unusually docile personality. Even the staff at the shelter commented on it. Ok so since we have brought this pup home, our Nate has totally fallen in love with this dog. We have not had one meltdown since CJ (the dog) was brought home. He has just been so happy with this. When he gets upset CJ comes to him and lays in his lap. Instant meltdown stopper. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this. puppy

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Glad it has worked great for your family! My son is very timid around dogs. He doesn't like them much at all. My son loves horses though! But I can't really keep a horse in the house :( My son was going to hippotherapy, but we had to stop and now there is no time in the week for any extra therapies or activities.

JorJorsMom
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmm.. I think I need a puppy.  :-)

samomama
by Sally on Jan. 3, 2014 at 11:11 PM

That sounds wonderful! 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 3, 2014 at 11:20 PM
You lucked out BIG time! I don't think that happens all too often. Sounds like you found the perfect dog. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
letstalk747
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

somewhat with my son and his dog

tonijoy79
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:15 AM

i had the opposite, i invested in a cat, and thanks to bradley "loving" it this poor cat now has PTSD and will jump out of windows whenever brad goes near it, and it was sucha docile loving kitten. bradley doesnt show a lot of interest in it anymore, as it took to scratching him. turned out the "get them a cat or dog, it will calm them down" idea wasnt the best for my son, my poor dog we had before bradley cops a lot of abuse from brad, but will protect him no matter what and loves him, but it doesnt stop brad from having tantrums or meltdowns, just gives him someone else to take it out on lol.

i am so glad it worked for you and your family, its such a great story to hear

Linda733
by Linda on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:03 AM

Wow that is terrific! I need to get a puppy. My son loves dogs!!! If that would help with tantrums and meltdowns I would have a house full of dogs lol

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:21 AM

How sweet....love this!

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Awwww - I love that this has helped your son - Yay!

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Every child is so different, but I'm happy for your son.  My son who is 5 now learned not to have temper tamptrums/hitting by learning to use his words. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)