Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

MILK, question. advice, help please. edit

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:49 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hello ladies.

So i have a question about MILK. What milk & brand do you buy for your child?

Currently I'll give my son the 2% milk regular milk, i have given him the soy milk..

I am considering trying either or both: Almond milk or Rice milk, however im not sure if I should go completely gluten free and or dairy free.. im sorta at a loss for milk because my son LOVES milk. I also want him to get the nutrition he needs.. Advice thoughts, help?

Edit: How can I tell if my son has a dairy issue or a gluten issue?

by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM

My son is on soy milk, but that is because he has milk and nut allergies that keep him away from cow's milk and almond milk.  We've had rice milk too, and he's ok with that. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I am no good on this one. My son doesn't touch milk at all LOL. I would love for him to drink any of those choices

A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM

We drink regular whole milk.  I have no issues with dairy, though.  We are grain free, and I make my own coconut flour.  Coconut milk is made in the process of making coconut flour, and it is really good. I've never had any other non dairy milk.  I've considered making almond flour which would give us some almond milk to try, but I haven't attempted that yet.

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I would go with either. Or try both and see which one he prefers...

You can always add a bit of dark chocolate (as it's healthier than milk chocolate) then add a tiny bit of sugar if it's needed.

Just know that not every child responds to that diet.

Good luck momma.

I get my son whole milk, and add ovaltine to it, to get vitamins and iron because he doesn't eat red meat at all.

CafeMom Tickers
-BeautifulRose-
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM
My son is the same way. He won't drink milk at all.

The only milk I like is almond milk.

Quoting JTMOM422:

I am no good on this one. My son doesn't touch milk at all LOL. I would love for him to drink any of those choices

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM

No clue mama...my son doesn't drink milk.  Hugs!

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM

My son drinks almond milk because he is dairy protein intolerant. 

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:13 PM

My daughter does almond milk ... although I'm currently making it into homemade pudding because she mostly refuses to drink it anymore. I think almond milk is a little more nutritious than rice milk because almonds themselves contain alot of nutrients, including fiber, that rice doesn't contain.

You can mostly tell your child has food intolerance issues if they have problems with gas, bloating, random aches and pains and irregular bowel movements (irregular in amount of times or in consistencies).

But the whole gfcf diet for autism is not just about intolerances, but also the fact that even though your body may be able to process it, it's not processed as well and so it feeds bad bacteria and yeast in your intestines causing behavior issues.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:07 AM

We drink 2% and have always done well on it.

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:31 AM
I know I have dairy and gluten issue because shortly after I eat gluten my stomach becomes severely bloated I get horrible cramps, then I start puking and diarrhea. Dairy products give me bloating, cramps and diarrhea.
I don't drink milk. I don't like soy and rice milk. I haven't tried Almond milk. The kids drink 2% milk and I have not noticed any issues from it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)