Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

A mom purse?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:17 PM
  • 18 Replies

I like small purses. Usually the purse is enough to carry my keys, phone, money/cards, chap stick and tissues. My son is 6 so whenever we go somewhere I pack a small backpack of stuff for him. Change of clothes, extra underwear or diapers in case of an accident, drinks, snacks and his ipad. So my husband wants me to get a "mom purse" to replace the backpack for my son. I don't want to carry around a suitcase just because my husband doesn't want to carry a backpack. So what does a "mom purse" look like?

by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand why your son's backback is not good enough. If it holds everything that he needs then that is great. Can your son carry the backpack? There are some really big purses out there that are really nice looking. I carry a midsize purse and keep the extra clothing, underwear and diapers in the car. Drinks, snacks, small toys, tablet in my purse

Bleddynt
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:00 PM
I pack my daughter a backpack all the time too. Its one of the small ones but the ipad fits (important) and stuffed animals, and drinks and food and everything else. I dont even carry a purse anymore, just my phone wallet thing. My husband passed away so I dont get any complaints from him, just my daughter who doesnt always want to carry it, but I tell her its her things so she should carry it. If she doesnt want to carry it then we leave the stuff home, it usually works. but sometimes I wind up carrying it for her =)

I think he made up the mom purse thing, I never heard of it, but Im guessing hes talking about those big diaper bag looking ones.... that fits a million things in it. I would tell my husband to get a dad purse if he doesn't like what Im doing lol
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I've never liked traditional purses, small or large. I buy the one-strap bags that go on your back kinda of like a backpack. Bag goes halfway beside me, halfway on my back so it's out of my way, don't have to deal with a strap falling down my arm so I can wear it even while strapping my daughter into her carseat. And it holds my stuff and a few diapers, travel wipes case and a small change of clothes (pretty packed with the change of clothes, I usually just keep some in the car unless we're going somewhere that's not easy to get back to the car.) I can even fit a small snack container or spill-proof cup if I organize it right.

Here's an example of what I use: 

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/30116?page=healthy-back-bag-leather

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:37 PM

For the longest time, I only used a backpack. It carried everything I needed, my keys, wallet, phone, my iPad, my agenda, and then it had room for my son's iPad, a couple toys, and any important files/papers (ok, so my sketch book isnt really that important lol). Recently (since my husband returned from his deployment), I have carried around a small backpack purse. It holds (again), my ipad, wallet, keys, phone, and a small sketch book.

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:09 AM

No clue. I have my purse, but we also carry a backpack for our boys things. 

JorJorsMom
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I use little purses and my son carries a backpack.  :-)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:38 AM

My son has a backpack that we carry everywhere we go and I have my own purse.  I'm not sure why your husband doesn't like the backpack idea.  What does it matter?

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I say you carry whatever you're comfortable with!

Rhodin
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

We have a tactical shoulder bag, which is like a purse that could survive combat.  It has a lined, zippered pocket that could conceal a handgun, but actually just has my phone, wallet, and keys.  It also has a quick release shoulder strap, which is handy for physically attaching it to strollers and carts.  The best part: it's manly enough that DH doesn't mind wearing it.

blue.butterfly
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Whatever works for you and your son is what you should use. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN