Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Multivitamin

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:14 PM
  • 28 Replies

Do you give your child a multivitamin? Jonathan has low iron. Not low enough for meds though. The doctor suggested a multivitamin with iron. The only problem is the only ones I can find are the hard ones. He doesn't like the gritty taste so won't take them. Hoping to find gummy ones with iron. So far can't find any. So I turned to you ladies for help.

by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I haven't found any gummies with iron either :(    I even found out the gummy prenatal vitamins I took when I was pregnant didn't have iron in them ..... awesome huh. I feel really dumb about that but luckily I didn't have an iron problem while I was pregnant so no harm done (I hope?)

BUMBLEscumble
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:27 PM

I honestly do not, nor for myself.

I honestly trust certain doctors when tey say artificial deposits and the effects of such are worse than fortifying yur diet with the real thing.

That being said, I jump all over opportunities such as broccoli, and greek yogurt, even during my late night snack binges.

I would like to think I alternate my daughter's diet the same.  I exclude grains in the morning due to her preference of such sweeter ones in the PM.

MIL WILL NOT RESPECT THIS.  Sorr.... that rant probably belongs elsewhere.  *le sigh*

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:35 PM

My kids only know the hard ones, I buy vitamins with veggies in them

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I have looked all over and can't find the gummies. Thanks for answering though

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

I haven't found any gummies with iron either :(    I even found out the gummy prenatal vitamins I took when I was pregnant didn't have iron in them ..... awesome huh. I feel really dumb about that but luckily I didn't have an iron problem while I was pregnant so no harm done (I hope?)

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM

My son eats no veggies or yogurt. His eating is limited so I had to look for vitamins. 

As for the rant about MIL it's always best to get it out LOL

Quoting BUMBLEscumble:

I honestly do not, nor for myself.

I honestly trust certain doctors when tey say artificial deposits and the effects of such are worse than fortifying yur diet with the real thing.

That being said, I jump all over opportunities such as broccoli, and greek yogurt, even during my late night snack binges.

I would like to think I alternate my daughter's diet the same.  I exclude grains in the morning due to her preference of such sweeter ones in the PM.

MIL WILL NOT RESPECT THIS.  Sorr.... that rant probably belongs elsewhere.  *le sigh*

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:08 PM

hard ones I can find. I wish he would take them.

Quoting Charizma77:

My kids only know the hard ones, I buy vitamins with veggies in them

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:02 PM

I have been on the look out for these as well and I found this. Can't vouch for it at all as I just found it, but the reviews sound awesome and may just be what we're looking for!

http://www.koshervitamins.com/Navitco-Kosher-NutriBear-Iron-5-Mg-Chewable-Jellies-60-Bears

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:10 AM

My oldest takes gummy ones and my youngest takes a liquid one.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:34 AM
I just did a google search and found an article that said that the reason iron isn't in children's gummy vitamins is because if kids eat too many (because they taste like candy) that they'd overdose on iron and that can be life threatening! Who knew?

Anyway, with my last pregnancy I was anemic for the first time ever. I focused on eating iron rich foods with vitamin c to help the absorbtion. I also took Floradix from the health food store. It tasted awful but got my iron up fast! I wonder if they have a kids version?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this
My DD eats very few foods and won't take any chewable form of vitamin by mouth but also needed to supplement her iron intake. I've been using the Poly-vi-sol with iron liquid that I mix with her orange juice for over 6 months now with great results. Hope this helps.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)