Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

older sibling trouble

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:18 AM
  • 5 Replies
Does anyone have an older child of a sibling with autism. my son has autism and takes a lot of my time, if he does something to her like take one of her toys i find myself tellling her that he doesn't understand and to wait and i will get it off him as soon as i can otherwise they start to fight but recently i have noticed that she is getting frustrated to the point she has started hitting him in anger what can i do it makes me feel so bad I'm worried it will affect her later in life
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JorJorsMom
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:28 AM

I have 2 children older than my autistic son.  Ages 14 (boy), 12 (girl), and 5 (asd boy).  My eldest son is extremely understanding but my daughter on the other hand gets very frustrated with him.  My advice is not to always give in to the younger one and make the older sibling wait.  Imo, that makes things worse.  I always try to be equal.. whoever had it first gets to play with it, but don't forget to take turns and share.  I know the younger one has issues and can't help some of the behavior but he still has to learn.  As well as the older one does have to learn patience. How old are they?

JorJorsMom
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:29 AM

I also have a 2 year old daughter..  Busy house.  Lol

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:07 AM
Welcome to the group! My youngest daughter is four and has severe Autism. I have adult children who live away from home but I still have an eight year old daughter and a five year old grandson at home, both NT. They are great with her but I noticed the same frustration with my older daughter. I tried explaining it all to her and although I thought she understood, the frustration was still there. I started spending more individual time with her away from the other kids doing more of the things that she liked to do and giving her my undivided attention. I allow her to keep the things that she really likes hidden away from the other kids and allow her some time to play with them while I keep the other kids distracted with other activities. I do the same thing with my grandson. I am also working on teaching my little one about personal boundaries and redirect her when she takes things from them. This has helped a lot. It really is tough finding a healthy balance for each child, but it is necessary. Hope this helps.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:36 AM

Welcome to the group!  Glad you're here:)  I only have one child so not sure to be honest.  Hugs!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:57 AM

My youngest is autistic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)