Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Have you ever doubted your child's diagnosis?

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Amy
  • 56 Replies

Have you ever doubted that your child is actually on the autism spectrum?  Have you thought that perhaps s/he has another condition causing his/her symptoms?

If it were suggested that your child was misdiagnosed, would you be open to looking at the possibility that there is something else going on or would you continue to believe that your child is autistic?

by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't doubt my daughter has autism but I wish her doctor would test her for other things. She did an mri to rule out brain abnormalities and it came back normal but other than that nothing else has been suggested. And even though my daughter is allergic to dairy and has other food intolerances she doesn't think that indicates anything else. I'm thinking about going to a DAN doctor in the future just to see if my daughter's food intolerances could be a sign of any other issues ...... but so many traditional doctors just think having gut issues is just a part of autism, nothing else.

JorJorsMom
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I don't doubt that my son has autism but I have heard of some auditory issues causing similar symptoms that I wanted to look into, just to make sure.  I would like to see a neurologist too.  If it was suggested that he had something other than autism I would get further testing because I think it's better to know for sure what's causing the issues so it can be properly treated.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I believe 100% my son is autistic. I have never doubted the diagnosis. If it were for some strange reason something else I would go that route for working with him

trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:33 PM
Nope he's pretty severe
wildchild.com
by Janine on Jan. 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM
No he definitely has autism no doubt in my mind.
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 4:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I do have times where I doubt it, but I know that I shouldn't because my son is pretty obviously autistic, and I've never had a professional try to suggest otherwise. He always does something to "prove" his autism to me immediately after though, so my periods of doubt never last too long. I'm the kind of person who has a difficult time trusting my own perceptions, and I usually need a lot of reassurance in a matter before I feel confident, so I'm not surprised that I struggle with this. 

mustbeGRACE
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

At this point a diagnosis isn't that important to me.

We look at his fxning and address those issues as best we can.

It is such a tightrope to make sure he has what he needs but to  still let him try to live a "normal" life.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:09 PM

On his good days YES.. On a bad day no.. 

I sometimes wonder if it is the SPD and the NLD together along with a thyriod issue... But I think as he gets older and older I see more ASD... Smetimes more ODD or ADD coupled with the ASD.. But I know his anxiety can manifest itself as looking like other things as well... 

Im actually reading a very intereting book called "when you worry aout the child you love" by Hallowell.. Interesting read about misdiagnosis and how to get the help you need to really FLUSH out. 

i think since Sam was Dxd at 3.5 as Aspie.. But at 4 I brought him to this exclusive Dr in NYC who said 4 was too early to Dx. then the school psychologist and his private psych Dxd him at 5 as Aspie.. But his Dr told me she just didnt want to disagree so he could get all the services he needed... She was on the fence and needed time like the NYC dr. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, but I doubted all the people that said he didn't have it and wasted 3 years of our life.  All the dx he has fit him to a T. 

blue.butterfly
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Truthfully...no. I know he's on the spectrum but he does have many, many typical traits that most people who don't know much about autism (which is a lot of people lol), would never think it of him. 

I have even had "professionals", even doctors, tell me they do not think he has autism, just perhaps he displays some traits, but that's because he's sort of what you might call "on the cusp". Atypical autism. Other doctors see it very clearly. It's been confusing for me, having so many conflicting opinions, but he scored a 10 on the ADOS, so there's that. Can't really argue with that, KWIM?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN