Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Well, it happened, my son discovered poop in his diaper. I really cannot complain because he only smeared it on the floor (hardwood) and a couple of toys before I caught him. It really could have been a lot worse, especially considering he smeared it right next to my new shag rug that is less than a week old and our new sectional that is only a few months old. I would have had a heart attack if it ended up on those things, so I am very grateful that the mess was as easy to clean up as it was! 

Of course, now I'm nervous that he's going to do it again. My husband is thinking that we'll punish him if he does, but I'm thinking more along the lines of how I'm going to restrict his access to his diaper. 

by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Replies (11-18):
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Thankfully i dodged this bullet. Im so sorry! BIG hug! 

Ive heard of ductaping and the onsie pj trick. Hope it works. 

Would he understand telling it poop has germs, could make him sick, not a toy... Over and over... :( 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Oh momma. I know that had to be hard. Jonathan will poop in is underwear and just take them off and keep playing. So needless to say it's on his legs, feet, carpet and toys too. He doesn't play in the poop per se but doesn't let us know he needs to be cleaned. As for not getting into his diaper I can suggest a onsie if he can't get it off or overalls

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Hugs to ya!!!!!
mamalena137
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Sorry mommy. My son hasn't played with his poop. We're potty trainng him and he did poop in some shorts in the bathroom. He took them off and proceeded to use the towels to wipe himself. It was hard not to laugh just because at least he knew to wipe himself. Try telling him that it's gross and stinky. Also maybe try getting him to play with playdo. Maybe that'll give him the sensory that he looks for with his poop.

HippoCat
by Hadley on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Well, for a poop smearing you definitely get a hug :). I wouldn't punish him, he's just trying to figure it out. Restricting access to the diaper is the route I would take. Yicky Yuck!!

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:41 PM

My son did it once, and thank god never did it again. I am with you, I wouldn't make a big deal about it. Sometimes kids will continue doing something that they get a lot of attention for even if it is bad attention. I would just keep his diaper covered up for the next few days and keep an eye on him. If he forgets about it in the next few days you will be all set! Good luck xo Try not to panic!!!!

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:24 PM

At least it wasn't too bad ((hugs)) I did go through this with my son 

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Thanks for the support, everyone!! So far, so good, he's kept his hands out of his diaper since the incident. 

When it happened, we told him in a firm (not angry) tone that he's not allowed to touch poop beause it's "yucky" and "ew gross" because he understands those words. Luckily my husband was home when it happened so he was able to give him a bath while I cleaned the house up, and he brought him over to let him see that I was cleaning his toys. At one point he wanted to play with a dirty toy, and had to suffer the natural consequence of not being able to, so hopefully he connected the dots and realized the cause and effect of what happened. 

Thanks again, I know that I'm not the first mom to have to clean up a poopy mess lol, but it's still no fun!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)