Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Hitting ears? UPDATE

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM
  • 23 Replies
Well, I have posted here about how Nicolas behaviors are getting more prominent.

So, he started with rubbing fingers together, and last week he started to cover his ears and then move his hands on them a little bit. Well, we were eating lunch and he put his hands on his ears and started hitting them. He was covering his whole ear while doing it on both sides. He took the fork to eat and was taking his one hand and went back and forth with his ears because his right hand had a fork. He finally stopped after a little bit.

My question is, does anyone know if he could hurt his ears by hitting them like that? I think I'm going to call his primary doctor to see if she can check his ears just in case. I don't know what else to do. Any advice would be great. Thanks ladies.

Update:
Thanks everyone. But there is no infection. Just a behavior. She asked if he is getting all his services that he needs. So, I went over all the services. She said that is all he needs. That it is most likely a behavior. I did ask if he can hurt his ears. She said most likely he can't.
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JorJorsMom
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Maybe he has an earache and can't tell you?  Jordan holds his ears too but he's never hit them so idk about that.

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:17 PM
2 moms liked this
He probably has an ear infection. My ds holds, covers his, hits his every time he gets one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

When my son is upset he hits both ears. He hasn't hurt his ears but we redirect him when he's using too much force.

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:43 PM

He might have a ear infection I'd have the dr check him. My son hits his head and he ever had a mark 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:54 PM

I really don't know if he can hurt his ears doing this. I think it's a good idea that you are taking him to the doctors to be sure.

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
He never tells me when he is sick. I usually have to find out from fever or other symptoms. So, that is why I want to take him to dr to make sure there is no infection.

Quoting JorJorsMom:

Maybe he has an earache and can't tell you?  Jordan holds his ears too but he's never hit them so idk about that.

princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:19 PM

It sounds like he has an ear infection. My son does the same thing.

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Thx everyone. I will take him to the dr. He is 4 and has only had 1 ear infection and that was when he was a baby.
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:01 PM
My son sorts flicks his ears. Like from back to front.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:53 PM
My 3 year old does this. It is a form of stimming for her. Yesterday while doing family pictures she was hitting her cheeks and ears hard. She was extremely over stimulated with all the people (19 including the photographer), the lights, and just stuff. I don't think we got a single picture of her not hitting her face or flapping her hands.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN