Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Staying awake until your teens fall asleep

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok,I caught some flack from a family member because I went to bed before my kids (14&15 YEAR olds) this weekend. I was exhausted. I was up 19 hrs. The ASD kid was transitioning off meds, which had him  a mess emotionally.  I had to help my typical kid build a 6 foot tall cabinet closet which took 5 hours to build.  I cooked a large from scratch meal.  Both of my kids are pretty self reliant , they can make a snack, work the electronics , shower wo supervision. They don't operate the stove . They can  to enter my bedroom and wake me if they have a problem.  Safety is not an issue. Normally I'm up to 11 pm  but sometimes I need to go earlier.  I went up to my bed room at 930 pm . Both kids were fine, I told them I was headed up. It's not like I crawled into the room and bolted the doors..  They are teens.  If they needed me, I would have stayed up.  What are your thoughts on falling asleep before your teens fall asleep? I really don't see the issue. My dh doesn't see an issue with it either. He works tough hours so he is in bed 9:00 a lot so those last two hours of the day, I putz around myself. 

confused

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 5:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
JorJorsMom
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:54 PM

I don't see a problem with it.  My 14 yr old stays up late.  I like the independent stage.

johnns
by Johnna on Jan. 7, 2014 at 8:47 AM
I wouldn't pay any attention to them, its none of their business.
HippoCat
by Hadley on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:01 AM

They are teens! I would have done the same thing. My mom used to go to bed a lot before I did when I was a teenager. I don't see the problem at all. Maybe this person should offer to help you out  before casting judgement. 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Sounds ok to me.
bluedolly01
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:15 PM
14 & 15???? Yeah no problem with that. Some weekends we let our 14 & 8 year old stay up and we go to bed. The house is securely locked and tbey know where to find us if they need us.

Single story house.

ETA: I am up at 3 am everyday for work by the end of the week I am exhausted. Weekends are rhe only time I get to go to bed early
mabeetle
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Thank you everyone! 

Jenniy
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM
I stay up until the boys are asleep but they're 8 and 6. Lol
Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I don't see a problem with it. 

I mean if your kids were sneaking out all the time and getting into trouble I could see you trying to stay up til they went to bed, but they seem to be really good kids. And you are willing to stay up if they need you or get up if they need you.

I don't see the issue.

AJsMom81507
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:10 PM

i guess your family would crucify me.. my 6 & 4 year old are sometimes still awake while i am sleeping.  lol... my 6 ASD would wake me as would my 4 NT 

my house is alarmed, connected to central, and i have locks and latches that most people cant even get out of.  

there is NOTHING wrong with it

Lisamg
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I go to bed before my 15 year old son. It's not like they ared 3 and putting themselves to bed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)