Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Staying awake until your teens fall asleep

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok,I caught some flack from a family member because I went to bed before my kids (14&15 YEAR olds) this weekend. I was exhausted. I was up 19 hrs. The ASD kid was transitioning off meds, which had him  a mess emotionally.  I had to help my typical kid build a 6 foot tall cabinet closet which took 5 hours to build.  I cooked a large from scratch meal.  Both of my kids are pretty self reliant , they can make a snack, work the electronics , shower wo supervision. They don't operate the stove . They can  to enter my bedroom and wake me if they have a problem.  Safety is not an issue. Normally I'm up to 11 pm  but sometimes I need to go earlier.  I went up to my bed room at 930 pm . Both kids were fine, I told them I was headed up. It's not like I crawled into the room and bolted the doors..  They are teens.  If they needed me, I would have stayed up.  What are your thoughts on falling asleep before your teens fall asleep? I really don't see the issue. My dh doesn't see an issue with it either. He works tough hours so he is in bed 9:00 a lot so those last two hours of the day, I putz around myself. 

confused

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 5:17 AM
Replies (21-30):
aandt1999
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Wow. This IS the autism forum...I would assume her teens are special needs.

Quoting melissaaytes:

They are 14 and 15.....I was staying home by myself at that age!!  And did you say they can shower without supervision?  I would sure as hell hope they can shower without supervision!!!  

hockeyfans30
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:29 PM
If they are old enough to babysit which they are in my book, there is no reasot you need to stay up with them! That family member should butt out!
letstalk747
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:00 PM

my son 13 i stay awake till he falls asleep , maybe when older i wont do this

othermom
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Teens I would be fine with it as long as they behave well

scjohnson74
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:23 AM
My teens know what they are allowed to do and what they shouldn't do. If I go to bed before them they know the rules so I don't really worry. If they need me, they can wake me up & they know that as well. I don't see an issue.

Quoting mabeetle:

Ok,I caught some flack from a family member because I went to bed before my kids (14&15 YEAR olds) this weekend. I was exhausted. I was up 19 hrs. The ASD kid was transitioning off meds, which had him  a mess emotionally.  I had to help my typical kid build a 6 foot tall cabinet closet which took 5 hours to build.  I cooked a large from scratch meal.  Both of my kids are pretty self reliant , they can make a snack, work the electronics , shower wo supervision. They don't operate the stove . They can  to enter my bedroom and wake me if they have a problem.  Safety is not an issue. Normally I'm up to 11 pm  but sometimes I need to go earlier.  I went up to my bed room at 930 pm . Both kids were fine, I told them I was headed up. It's not like I crawled into the room and bolted the doors..  They are teens.  If they needed me, I would have stayed up.  What are your thoughts on falling asleep before your teens fall asleep? I really don't see the issue. My dh doesn't see an issue with it either. He works tough hours so he is in bed 9:00 a lot so those last two hours of the day, I putz around myself. 

confused

lizard3731
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I don't see a problem with it. 

want10more
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:29 AM

hey, mom's get tired too. they know where to find you, they know you're SO up if/when they need you. quit kickin yourself!

mabeetle
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:58 AM

I just wish this family would realize I have  been a mom for 15+  years.  I got this, really. When I need you or want your opinion I'd ask!oh well.  I'm comfortable w my decision and the validation here reinforced it.

hopefulmind
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 6:31 PM
I am so exhausted after walking almost, not every night, but almost every night from one bed to another (4 years old and 6 with ASD) that I fall asleep anywhere I sit in the house with my kids.
I am that sleep deprived and my children will wake me up if they're affraid or just need something. But, God, I take even 15 minutes to close my eyes if opportunity presents itself.
Relax and do not worry what are others thoughts of it - your body knows, when it needs its rest.
My sleeplessness affects my driving; I feel dizzy and unable to function well during the day; constant headaches... Sleep whenever you get a chance!:)
jesusrocks2013
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Quoting mabeetle:

confusedI do not see an issue as long as they know and feel that you are there in case that they need you for any type of support or help at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN