Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I think I need to break up with my sons Doctor, I like her alot. But shes been consistantly raising her fees since we started when he was 5. She is great, she sees him 2xs a month. She sees me 1 time to talk about progress. When we first started with her she was 175 per hour, she is now up to 250 an hour. 

This is all out of pocket, she does not take insurance. 

I just dont think I can do that anymore, as much as i like her, i just cant afford to spend 750 a month on one doctor. sam still has his social skills group 1x a week at 100 a week, (400 a month) his swim lessons at 250 for 8 sessions (which start again in Feb) his OT at 75 per week.

is it wrong that I dnt want to continue based on money? 

I know starting over is costly too... But i feel like this is so much.

what do I say to her? Thanks, youve been a big help, but .... 

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Not sure if you saw that no one takes insurance in my area. Its rich here.. So many can afford that, we could too.. In a way.. We may not eat.. Or pay our taxes... Lol... But all the Drs here dont want to be bothered by taking insurance, cause they dont have to be. They leave the paperwork to us, the patients.. So we have to pay them 100 percent of ungodly fees, then insurance can screw us out of reimbursement, not them. 

Quoting aidensmomma508:

Find a dr your insurance takes get an appointment 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM

No it's not wrong at all. I would try to find one that does accept insuance. That money could be put away for a family trip or college. I would just tell her that her increasing fees have caused you to have to look for another doctor. That it's not against her personally and you love what she has donw for your son but you need to find someone else.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 7:52 PM

If she is providing high quality help and you see the benefit of going I guess I would stay. If appointments are more check ins, following up with no real assignments or issues I would take a break or cut the sessions back. You can return later if you find these regular sessions are needed. We no longer see the psychiatrist but use him to consult via email for brief questions.  I would tell her the cost is an issue, who knows what ideas she may offer ? Good luck!

aakeiser
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 8:26 PM
I would explain it to her why you are leaving. My last dr who was over charging me I just didn't go back. I didn't let them know. It was costing over 100 with insurance. I am with another doctor and it does not cost me a thing. You dont really have to give them a reason.
Krissyc75
by Kristin on Jan. 7, 2014 at 8:28 PM

It seems some states acknowledge and help kiddos with autism and others don't. With it on the rise you would think insurances and doctors would accept patients without extreme out of pocket costs. I know here in AZ, the state has division of developmental disabilities and also long term care. I think other states need to get with the program cause I know if we had to pay out of pocket we wouldnt be able to afford it. I am grateful that my son even with our privat e insurance the state also steps up to make sure he has the long term care he will need. 

I am so sorry your going through this!  I know you said your in NY, there was another lady who commented and said she was from NY and she said the state is helping her with the similar program we have here. Maybe she can give you some insight on what maybe your son qualifies for and how to apply.

Good luck and big hugs!

Quoting SamMom912:

A psychologist therapist. 

Shes been great.. But I started thinking last night that Im also feeling kind of stagant... So add that feeling to the cost and ... I think I need to move on... 

She HAS been great, shes given me great insight, she has recommended a littany of books that are super helpful.

no one here takes insurance. We are densely populated outside NYC and Drs dont have to bother with the paperwork.. They leave it for us, the patients. And insurance is so slimy. 

For example, my sons speech is 100 per 45 min social skills group. So after ive met my deducatable 8 can submit a bill for 100 and for out of network providers (and ere are NO in network, because all the drs here do this) so im supposed to get 60 percent of 100 back.. BUT the insurance says 100 isnt a reasonable fee, 50 is the "going rate" for speech (not here it isnt!) so I get reimbursed 60 percent of 50.. Which is 30 dollars.. So Im paying 70 per week out of pocket.. With all the fun and aggrivation of dealing with insurance. 

It sucks. 

We are in the middle.. Middle class. My hubby works super hard to afford our nice house and nice car. We have high taxes and save some money,, BUT with that we get the "benefit" of being put in this horrible position of picking and choosing what our kid gets for help... What we can "afford" and what is too much. And its wicked hard... Now dont kisunadertand.. I appreciate our nice house in our good neighborhood.. Good school district.. BUT i hate that we are stuck...

there is this AWESOME doctor that was recommended by my SIL who is a dean at a psych college near here. The doc is 800 per hour (not covered) IF we were rich (like many other people here outside NYC.. We could go, and it wouldnt matter..it wouldnt impact our wallet too much...). Or if we were financially struggling we could go, cause they take medicaid and other assisted medical insurance.. But we arent either.. So we dont get to go. It sucks... Sorry for the rant... 

Quoting Krissyc75:

May  I ask is she a speech therapist or another therapist of any kind? We are fortunate our speech/ot takes our insurance or it would be the same pricing your mentioning. Remember everything is negotiable, sounds like your son and the doctor have a great relationship, let her know that and if she truly is in it to help she should help you and your family out and "grandfather " you in and make the 250 amount for the new patients.

Hope this helps:) Good Luck!

Krissyc75
by Kristin on Jan. 7, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Also I know colleges have programs that students going to school to be therapists offer assistance to special needs, ASU here has a specialized program for autistic children and they have a student and therapist on hand helping the children, maybe look into your local college. 

Quoting Krissyc75:

It seems some states acknowledge and help kiddos with autism and others don't. With it on the rise you would think insurances and doctors would accept patients without extreme out of pocket costs. I know here in AZ, the state has division of developmental disabilities and also long term care. I think other states need to get with the program cause I know if we had to pay out of pocket we wouldnt be able to afford it. I am grateful that my son even with our privat e insurance the state also steps up to make sure he has the long term care he will need. 

I am so sorry your going through this!  I know you said your in NY, there was another lady who commented and said she was from NY and she said the state is helping her with the similar program we have here. Maybe she can give you some insight on what maybe your son qualifies for and how to apply.

Good luck and big hugs!

Quoting SamMom912:

Shes been great.. But I started thinking last night that Im also feeling kind of stagant... So add that feeling to the cost and ... I think I need to move on... 

She HAS been great, shes given me great insight, she has recommended a littany of books that are super helpful.

no one here takes insurance. We are densely populated outside NYC and Drs dont have to bother with the paperwork.. They leave it for us, the patients. And insurance is so slimy. 

For example, my sons speech is 100 per 45 min social skills group. So after ive met my deducatable 8 can submit a bill for 100 and for out of network providers (and ere are NO in network, because all the drs here do this) so im supposed to get 60 percent of 100 back.. BUT the insurance says 100 isnt a reasonable fee, 50 is the "going rate" for speech (not here it isnt!) so I get reimbursed 60 percent of 50.. Which is 30 dollars.. So Im paying 70 per week out of pocket.. With all the fun and aggrivation of dealing with insurance. 

It sucks. 

We are in the middle.. Middle class. My hubby works super hard to afford our nice house and nice car. We have high taxes and save some money,, BUT with that we get the "benefit" of being put in this horrible position of picking and choosing what our kid gets for help... What we can "afford" and what is too much. And its wicked hard... Now dont kisunadertand.. I appreciate our nice house in our good neighborhood.. Good school district.. BUT i hate that we are stuck...

there is this AWESOME doctor that was recommended by my SIL who is a dean at a psych college near here. The doc is 800 per hour (not covered) IF we were rich (like many other people here outside NYC.. We could go, and it wouldnt matter..it wouldnt impact our wallet too much...). Or if we were financially struggling we could go, cause they take medicaid and other assisted medical insurance.. But we arent either.. So we dont get to go. It sucks... Sorry for the rant... 

Quoting Krissyc75:

May  I ask is she a speech therapist or another therapist of any kind? We are fortunate our speech/ot takes our insurance or it would be the same pricing your mentioning. Remember everything is negotiable, sounds like your son and the doctor have a great relationship, let her know that and if she truly is in it to help she should help you and your family out and "grandfather " you in and make the 250 amount for the new patients.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Wow that's alot of doe rae me... You don't have to say anything just start looking for a new doc. If they ask you can be honest & just tell them it's too costly.
TinaNicu
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:37 AM

I was in your boat. I was spending about 15k per year until I had enough. I just cancelled my next appt without an explanation and never went back. We weren't all that happy with this dr though. I guess you could offer an explanation if you wanted, but that is your choice. 

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

It isn't easy being middle class, it really isn't. I am a single mom without any child support from my son's dad and I qualify for lots of assistance. I don't use it but it is nice to know it is there if I need it. Middle class families don't have anywhere to turn often so I think if this therapy has done what it was meant to do it might be time to take a break. You can always go back if you need to for a "tune up" now and then...good luck with your choice. You are a great mom and will do the right thing for your family. Think of how nice it will be to have that money back in your budget!!  XO

Quoting SamMom912:

It sucks. 

Quoting Krissyc75:

Saharra
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Sorry, I'm not part of this group, but somehow it came up on my feed :) But would it be cheaper to drive to someone who does bill the insurance? I don't know how far away you are from someone who accepts your insurance. It may make for a long day on those day, but maybe you could get other errands done while you are out. And then it would be a double whammy and get things done cheaper :) Hope it works out for you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN