Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

scratching

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:45 AM
  • 8 Replies

My 5yr old autistic son kaiden constantly scratches himself to the point of bleeding .... he does have eczema and psychologist said it could have triggered an ocd habit... I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue and what you are doing.... just an fyi I have taken him to several dermatologists and tried multiple creams, distractions, keeping nails cut short I don't know what else to do... he's already had two abscess appear with staph infection bc of the constant scratching.... it's really becoming a health issue... thanks 

by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 7, 2014 at 6:14 AM

Welcome mama!  I'm so sorry to hear this about your little Kaiden...love the name:)  Is he in behavioral therapy?  I would be inclined to ask his therapists what they think would be good to try with it.  Hugs!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

This sounds like a great suggestion.  I can see why it is a behavior you would want to stop.

Also, maybe ask if allergy testing is needed.  Maybe something is making him itch from the inside.  Or check your detergents and such to make sure they are as 'free' as possible in case clothes on his skin are itchy.  Body soaps, lotions, and creams too.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Welcome mama!  I'm so sorry to hear this about your little Kaiden...love the name:)  Is he in behavioral therapy?  I would be inclined to ask his therapists what they think would be good to try with it.  Hugs!

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:06 AM
Welcome to the group! I thought my kid was the only one with this problem. She also has eczema and scratches constantly but I've started to distract her with the iPad, nursery rhymes on my cell phone or some other activities that she likes to do with her hands. I also rub and massage her skin several times a day with Aveeno eczema relief therapy in between using her prescribed skin cream twice a day. She likes the massage. I also give her oatmeal baths and just let her sit, soak, and play with little toys or just let the warm water run over her in the shower. She requires constant supervision to make sure I catch the behavior before she causes any damage but she seems to have gotten the hang of just coming to get the phone or iPad before she starts scratching now. Hugs and hope this helps!
JorJorsMom
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

These sound like great ideas.  I know myself that being itchy is absolutely miserable.  I suffer from a hive disorder.  It's not allergies.  It's either hormonal or a nervous reaction, doctors aren't really sure.  But a bath or shower feels great and helps a lot.  I don't know how hives feel in comparison to eczema, but I also found that ice packs help relieve the itch.  Good luck.  I hope you find something that works for your little one.

Quoting NiyasMom1: Welcome to the group! I thought my kid was the only one with this problem. She also has eczema and scratches constantly but I've started to distract her with the iPad, nursery rhymes on my cell phone or some other activities that she likes to do with her hands. I also rub and massage her skin several times a day with Aveeno eczema relief therapy in between using her prescribed skin cream twice a day. She likes the massage. I also give her oatmeal baths and just let her sit, soak, and play with little toys or just let the warm water run over her in the shower. She requires constant supervision to make sure I catch the behavior before she causes any damage but she seems to have gotten the hang of just coming to get the phone or iPad before she starts scratching now. Hugs and hope this helps!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:54 PM
Welcome I'm not sure but I'm sure some of these ladies have great ideas.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

These are great suggestions for her!

Quoting NiyasMom1: Welcome to the group! I thought my kid was the only one with this problem. She also has eczema and scratches constantly but I've started to distract her with the iPad, nursery rhymes on my cell phone or some other activities that she likes to do with her hands. I also rub and massage her skin several times a day with Aveeno eczema relief therapy in between using her prescribed skin cream twice a day. She likes the massage. I also give her oatmeal baths and just let her sit, soak, and play with little toys or just let the warm water run over her in the shower. She requires constant supervision to make sure I catch the behavior before she causes any damage but she seems to have gotten the hang of just coming to get the phone or iPad before she starts scratching now. Hugs and hope this helps!

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Ebson salt baths helped my son. There is a spray on the market that is an external analgesic ( I buy the generic brand at walgreens called Wal-Dryl.) I spray my son after his bath and he doesn't scratch all night, which was when he did the most damage. I feel what you are going through. He never got sores but he did do damage. Good news is he is 10 now and has almost completely outgrown it. I think it has to do with food allergies...a kind of allergic reaction maybe?? Good luck mom, I am so sorry.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Oh momma. I really have no idea on this other than to try and keep the areas covered. I know it's easier said than done. I would also try to find something maybe that he can scratch other than himself. Maybe some material such as a rough towel. Like the bartending towels. At first was going to suggest sandpaper but that would be just as bad on the fingers. The bartending towels are rough and have ridges so maybe it would help. Sorry all I could think of

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)