Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell me about your ASA child delivery.

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM
  • 49 Replies
I'm just curious. Was your child born via c-section, forceps, vacuum? Did you have an epidural or were you induced?
I just read a story of a baby girl who's skull was cracked during a forcep delivery, and she later died.
It got me thinking
My ASA son was delivered with vacuum, epidural and I was induced. I wonder if any of it has anything to do with his Autism.

Lets face it despite all of the research, we don't REALLY know why? Can't help but wonder.
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Labor and delivery played no part in my daughter's autism because everything went perfect. I had her naturally at a birthing center 6 days after her due date .... not induced, no drugs of any kind, her heartbeat never had major fluctuations. I was in labor for 6 hours and she was here.

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:46 AM

My water broke naturally but they gave me pitocin to move the contractions along. I had an epidural and he came out in 2 pushes. My son was about a month early and had very low blood sugar.

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:55 AM

My NT son had the delivery you experienced.  I had pitocin after my water broke but labor had not started.

My son with ASD was natural/vaginal delivery, followed by his sisters c-section (they have not been dx ASD).

JorJorsMom
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Yes, I read that story.  How horrible!  My autistic son was my 3rd child, my longest labor and biggest baby.  I had a natural birth, no epidural.  After about 6 hours, maybe more, of not progressing with dilation they were going to send me home.. That's when they lost the heartbeat.  Idk if it was his position or what but they had me roll from side to side then they found it again, very scary.  After they found it they said he might be in distress so they induced me.  When he came out he was completely fine.  Breathing, crying, and color looked great.

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Planned induction without pitocin, cervical softening only, and quick, easy labor with no meds during delivery.
A_McCool
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I have Aspergers.  I was born by emergency c section because my mom went in for a routine check up, and the doctor couldn't find my heartbeat.  I had the umbilical cord tightly wrapped twice around my neck. It was about 3 week before her due date.

Both of my children were born via c section no autism.

I'm fairly sure my birth had little to nothing to do with my autism.  Looking at the rest of my family, I'm fairly sure it is mostly genetic.

Dbuterfly1974
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:10 PM
I struggle with the genetic part. Not to say it may not be true- I honestly do not have a clue. I struggle because I don't k ow where in my family is could of come from. We do have mental illness, but not ASD specifically that I am aware of.

I may just not be aware.

Quoting A_McCool:

I have Aspergers.  I was born by emergency c section because my mom went in for a routine check up, and the doctor couldn't find my heartbeat.  I had the umbilical cord tightly wrapped twice around my neck. It was about 3 week before her due date.

I'm fairly sure my birth had little to nothing to do with my autism.  Looking at the rest of my family, I'm fairly sure it is mostly genetic.

A_McCool
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM

As far as I know, I'm the only one with a diagnosis, but the prevalence of autistic traits in our family is more than likely the reason that I wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult.

Everyone excused my behavior by saying "Well, Uncle X acts just like that."  The problem became yes uncles a, b, and c and cousins d, e, and f all have one trait and can function okay; however, I have all 6 of those traits which could be a problem.

Quoting Dbuterfly1974: I struggle with the genetic part. Not to say it may not be true- I honestly do not have a clue. I struggle because I don't k ow where in my family is could of come from. We do have mental illness, but not ASD specifically that I am aware of.

I may just not be aware.

Quoting A_McCool:

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM
They decided to induce me at 41 weeks. I had an epidural after about 4 hrs. I wasn't progressing. Then around 12 hrs they broke my water. Once it was broke, they couldn't find his heart beat. The most scariest thing I ever went through in my life! They rushed me for a c-section. Literally throwing gowns at DH and running me down the hall. Then when we got there, they checked again for a heat beat and found it!

So, they took me back in the room for another 14 hrs of labor. And since I was still not progressing, I got the c-section anyway. :/

My son was born with a slow heart beat and severe apnea. He was on an apnea machine until he was 11 months old.

I also read that story. It is very sad.
lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:36 PM
All three of my kids were over due 41 weeks, almost 41w5 days and 42 weeks. I was induced with all of them. My oldest daughter was born not breathing apgar of zero then four. My middle daughter I saw a high risk doctor even though the pregnancy itself wasn't. She was born breathing apgar score of 9 then 10. Xavier I had the option of seeing the high risk doctor but chose not to. He was born not breathing. They wouldn't let anyone see him it was bad. He bounced back pretty quick though. That's when we decided to not have any more.
I don't think it is why he has autism. It's genetic.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)