Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

During our christmas celebrations...

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:09 AM
  • 21 Replies
2 moms liked this

My mother in law comes up once a month. She came up the thursday (in the morning)  after christmas day. She spent the weekend and went back home on the following Monday morning. So she spent. 4 days with us. 

I made christmas dinner. She brought up collard greens (from scratch.. love them will eat noone else's) and cranberry sauce, also made from scratch. So good.

Thursday, my son was a little shy. (it normally takes a day for him to warm up to her since he only sees her once a month.)

This time around it took a few hours. Then he was hugging her and holding her hand. Hubby and MIL went to the store the next day. They came back with some apple. (thought they were baking apples and ended up being eating apples. I was gonna do apple dumplings. )  Nana grabbed an apple and ate it. 

slight background. School, my son will eat apples. He won't eat them here no matter how they are served.

Nana grabs an apple. She takes a bite, he hears the crunch and looks at her wondering what she has. Looks at me. Sees me with an apple as well. Decides to ask for one. I gave him mine after taking a bite (figured it would be easier for him to get a bite) He ate the whole apple, and started eating the core. I took it from him and went and cored another apple, and offered it to him whole but cored. He ate that one too. Every day since then (until he got the runs from it) he would eat an apple. I've since started slicing them up for him as well as coring them, because he had been having a bit of a problem eating them cored but whole. 

Anytime he sees an apple, he asks for one. Keeping in mind that my son in non verbal. (it doesn't mean he can't communicate) He does communicate very well.  That was a first ( the apple at home thing)

He readily takes Nana's hand and leads her to different places in the house to ask for things. (new cause he's only seen her about 6 times - 6 months now.) 

Nana went up to get him friday morning. He didn't want to take her hand to come downstairs, but did choose to come downstairs on his own. (We've been working with him on this for a while now. he used to come down the stairs on his own then for a long time he was afraid of the stairs, was fine upstairs or down stairs, just not on the stairs themselves) He will now come down the stairs on his own. 

Had been having problems with him wanting to be up at the tv while eating (no matter what he was eating) 

The whole time Nana is here, he sat on the sofa (with a little table by the sofa with his food on it) ate while on the sofa off of his plate off of the table. Food did not end up on the floor any where near as often as before.

This new thing for him has continued since Nana has gone home.

Saturday (I think) Nana went out the back door to check the temp right around the house and then wanted to come back in. In between the few seconds she was outside, my son Conner saw her out there and went to her and took her hand and lead her back inside, making his "not happy" noise the whole time, until she was "Safely" inside the living room. Then he stopped that "not happy" sound. He was not ready for Nana to leave yet. He made that abundantely clear. He wanted Nana to stay for a while longer. Wasn't happy that she wasn't in the house with him. 

Nana has emphysema. She had a pretty bad coughing fit. Conner was watching one of his favorite movies. (getting his attentin during his favorite movies, or his most fave part of those movies is hard to do)... Nana was coughing. (like I said it was pretty bad) He stopped jumping with excitement over the fave part of his fave movie, turned and looked at her... turned back for a second... then turned again to look at her. When she was done her coughing fit and I was in the kitchen getting her some water to drink, Conner walked over to her and put his hand on her knee until she looked at him and smiled. Her smiling indicated to him that she was okay, and then only after she smiled, he went back to his movie.  My sweet, sweet boy. 

That whole weekend, he wanted mommy only to change his pull up and to give him his meals and snacks. He only wanted daddy to take him up to bed. He wanted Nana the rest of the time. Nana took a nap on the couch, she was really tired. Conner (who wasn't tired in the least) climbed up on the couch and layed down on the other side, laying his legs over his Nana's legs to be close to her while she napped. He was very gentle and just wanted to be near her. Didn't climb on top of her (as he does with me when I fall asleep on the couch), didn't jump on her (he does this to me too) and was very gentle about moving around at all. 

The connection and bond that he has with his Nana grew a lot during that weekend. He is very close with her and loves having her here. We all love having her here. She won't be coming up this month, as we are going down to her this month. I think my son can handle being in a new place as long as his mommy, daddy and his Nana are there with him.

During that weekend, he also actually chose what he wanted for snack, and what he wanted for his meals, and was pretty darn accurate with his choices. Meaning that what he told us he wanted and what he actually wanted were mostly the same thing. *smiles* I know you ladies will understand this.

He actually ate very very well for us that weekend. Now is going through a growth spurt, so it feels like he does nothing but eat and sleep. 

He is the size of an average 8 year old boy. He stands at almost 3'11" tall and weighs 61.3 pounds. He is a very solid little boy and perportioned very well. His dr is pretty happy with his health.

One other thing that he did that is kinda new... he ate yogurt, and came back to me on his own to get more bites. (he doesn't use utensils and tends to not eat anything that requires utensils to eat. except for waffles and pancakes. he eats those just with his fingers.)

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Whoa.... sorry about the length of this. A LOT happened during that visit. I am VERY proud of my son for everything that he has accomplished. 

I should post his progress report on here. He accomplished 3 of his goals. I'm so very proud of my son.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM
That's womderful,glad you & your family had such a nice holiday. Sounds like your son really bonded with his nana :-)
Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting wildchild.com: That's womderful,glad you & your family had such a nice holiday. Sounds like your son really bonded with his nana :-)

He did. That bond just keeps getting stronger and stronger every time she comes up.

Hopefully it will be the same when we go down this month. 

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:30 AM

So happy to hear that it's taking shorter periods of time for him to get use to nana being there. I know that must be exciting for her. Sounds like nana is teaching him to eat healthy.

As for the apple dumplings I would love to get that recipe from you. I have always wanted to make them but never have,

My son loves apples. He can eat 2 or 3 a day. I go through so many apples it's ridiculous. Fruit does not last in this house lol.

Quoting Basherte:

My mother in law comes up once a month. She came up the thursday (in the morning)  after christmas day. She spent the weekend and went back home on the following Monday morning. So she spent. 4 days with us. 

I made christmas dinner. She brought up collard greens (from scratch.. love them will eat noone else's) and cranberry sauce, also made from scratch. So good.

Thursday, my son was a little shy. (it normally takes a day for him to warm up to her since he only sees her once a month.)

This time around it took a few hours. Then he was hugging her and holding her hand. Hubby and MIL went to the store the next day. They came back with some apple. (thought they were baking apples and ended up being eating apples. I was gonna do apple dumplings. )  Nana grabbed an apple and ate it. 

slight background. School, my son will eat apples. He won't eat them here no matter how they are served.

Nana grabs an apple. She takes a bite, he hears the crunch and looks at her wondering what she has. Looks at me. Sees me with an apple as well. Decides to ask for one. I gave him mine after taking a bite (figured it would be easier for him to get a bite) He ate the whole apple, and started eating the core. I took it from him and went and cored another apple, and offered it to him whole but cored. He ate that one too. Every day since then (until he got the runs from it) he would eat an apple. I've since started slicing them up for him as well as coring them, because he had been having a bit of a problem eating them cored but whole. 

Anytime he sees an apple, he asks for one. Keeping in mind that my son in non verbal. (it doesn't mean he can't communicate) He does communicate very well.  That was a first ( the apple at home thing)

He readily takes Nana's hand and leads her to different places in the house to ask for things. (new cause he's only seen her about 6 times - 6 months now.) 

Nana went up to get him friday morning. He didn't want to take her hand to come downstairs, but did choose to come downstairs on his own. (We've been working with him on this for a while now. he used to come down the stairs on his own then for a long time he was afraid of the stairs, was fine upstairs or down stairs, just not on the stairs themselves) He will now come down the stairs on his own. 

Had been having problems with him wanting to be up at the tv while eating (no matter what he was eating) 

The whole time Nana is here, he sat on the sofa (with a little table by the sofa with his food on it) ate while on the sofa off of his plate off of the table. Food did not end up on the floor any where near as often as before.

Saturday (I think) Nana went out the back door to check the temp right around the house and then wanted to come back in. In between the few seconds she was outside, my son Conner saw her out there and went to her and took her hand and lead her back inside, making his "not happy" noise the whole time, until she was "Safely" inside the living room. Then he stopped that "not happy" sound. He was not ready for Nana to leave yet. He made that abundantely clear. He wanted Nana to stay for a while longer. Wasn't happy that she wasn't in the house with him. 

Nana has emphysema. She had a pretty bad coughing fit. Conner was watching one of his favorite movies. (getting his attentin during his favorite movies, or his most fave part of those movies is hard to do)... Nana was coughing. (like I said it was pretty bad) He stopped jumping with excitement over the fave part of his fave movie, turned and looked at her... turned back for a second... then turned again to look at her. When she was done her coughing fit and I was in the kitchen getting her some water to drink, Conner walked over to her and put his hand on her knee until she looked at him and smiled. Her smiling indicated to him that she was okay, and then only after she smiled, he went back to his movie.  My sweet, sweet boy. 

That whole weekend, he wanted mommy only to change his pull up and to give him his meals and snacks. He only wanted daddy to take him up to bed. He wanted Nana the rest of the time. Nana took a nap on the couch, she was really tired. Conner (who wasn't tired in the least) climbed up on the couch and layed down on the other side, laying his legs over his Nana's legs to be close to her while she napped. He was very gentle and just wanted to be near her. Didn't climb on top of her (as he does with me when I fall asleep on the couch), didn't jump on her (he does this to me too) and was very gentle about moving around at all. 

The connection and bond that he has with his Nana grew a lot during that weekend. He is very close with her and loves having her here. We all love having her here. She won't be coming up this month, as we are going down to her this month. I think my son can handle being in a new place as long as his mommy, daddy and his Nana are there with him.

During that weekend, he also actually chose what he wanted for snack, and what he wanted for his meals, and was pretty darn accurate with his choices. Meaning that what he told us he wanted and what he actually wanted were mostly the same thing. *smiles* I know you ladies will understand this.

He actually ate very very well for us that weekend. Now is going through a growth spurt, so it feels like he does nothing but eat and sleep. 

He is the size of an average 8 year old boy. He stands at almost 3'11" tall and weighs 61.3 pounds. He is a very solid little boy and perportioned very well. His dr is pretty happy with his health.

One other thing that he did that is kinda new... he ate yogurt, and came back to me on his own to get more bites. (he doesn't use utensils and tends to not eat anything that requires utensils to eat. except for waffles and pancakes. he eats those just with his fingers.)

CarrieGemenon19
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Its great when the kiddlets have such a special bond with someone in the family. P and my step-mom really connect- it's awesome to see.

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Pie dough recipe.

apples (baking apples like granny smith) cored, and sliced in quarters, and peeled.

sugar, cinnamon, butter

Roll out the pie dough (if you need recipe for that I will share that too)

Cut into large squares. Take 4 of the quartered apple pieces, place upright like an apple. THen take a teaspoon and put about a teaspoon of butter in the middle of them and about a teaspoon of sugar and  a sprinkle of cinnamon. Wrap the dough around the apple pressing it together at the top. Place in baking dish.... To press the top together I sometimes use a bit of butter to act as a glue. Then schmear a tad of butter on top, and sprinkle with both cinnamon and sugar. 

Bake at 375°F for about 20-25 minutes.

Serve with either whipped cream, or milk in a bowl.

Quoting JTMOM422:

So happy to hear that it's taking shorter periods of time for him to get use to nana being there. I know that must be exciting for her. Sounds like nana is teaching him to eat healthy.

As for the apple dumplings I would love to get that recipe from you. I have always wanted to make them but never have,

My son loves apples. He can eat 2 or 3 a day. I go through so many apples it's ridiculous. Fruit does not last in this house lol.

Quoting Basherte:

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:39 AM
These are all big accomplishments for him, congratulations!
Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Quoting CarrieGemenon19:

Its great when the kiddlets have such a special bond with someone in the family. P and my step-mom really connect- it's awesome to see.

I love it. I really want him to have someone besides mommy and daddy that he can trust and go to when he has questions that he doesn't feel comfortable asking mommy or daddy. Or has something that he doesn't feel comfortable coming to me or his daddy about that may not be a question. I know that there were times I wanted to go to my aunt instead of my parents, not because I felt they would judge me or anything, but I just didn't want them to worry about me doing what I was asking about, because I was asking so I would know more about it not because I wanted to do it. Plus I didn't want to embarrass my parents.

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting NiyasMom1: These are all big accomplishments for him, congratulations!

Thank you.

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Thanks for the recipe. I will make these this weekend.

Wow I can't believe how much he picked up during that visit. He made so many steps forward I can't believe you could even remember them all LOL I know that you guys had to be so happy too see so many steps forward just over that short time period.

This is a boy who loves his nana. I think it's sweet that the concern for her well being was more important than even his movie. It shows that the compassion and love he has for her is way up there. Thanks for sharing this. I love it. These posts always make me want to cry from all the great news

Quoting Basherte:

Pie dough recipe.

apples (baking apples like granny smith) cored, and sliced in quarters, and peeled.

sugar, cinnamon, butter

Roll out the pie dough (if you need recipe for that I will share that too)

Cut into large squares. Take 4 of the quartered apple pieces, place upright like an apple. THen take a teaspoon and put about a teaspoon of butter in the middle of them and about a teaspoon of sugar and  a sprinkle of cinnamon. Wrap the dough around the apple pressing it together at the top. Place in baking dish.... To press the top together I sometimes use a bit of butter to act as a glue. Then schmear a tad of butter on top, and sprinkle with both cinnamon and sugar. 

Bake at 375°F for about 20-25 minutes.

Serve with either whipped cream, or milk in a bowl.

Quoting JTMOM422:

Quoting Basherte:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)