Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I take my 9 yr old autistic boy to cancun

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:10 PM
  • 5 Replies
Im planning to go to cancun with my family in may with my 9 yr old autistic boy .Im scared to death , How he will react on the plane and the resort.He loves water but I'm still scared please any advice
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Is he high functioning?  

I would suggest that you talk to him and explain what to expect on the plane, etc.  Give him plenty of time to adjust to the idea, arrive at the airport early so that going through security, etc is less stressful and you can take the time you need for him to be ok with it.  I'd also be sure to take a tablet, books, coloring books, and snacks for the flight to help keep him occupied.

I took my child with ASD to Cancun when he was 3 and he had a blast, even on the plane.  A year and a half ago he and my daughter flew, by themselves, to Florida and back for a visit with their dad (he was 11 at the time) and he did better on the flight than his sister who was 14 (and NT).

JorJorsMom
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I guess how to plan and prepare for the trip would depend on what his personality is.  So it's hard to say.  How high functioning is he?  What sensory issues does he have?  What triggers meltdowns?  Does he get out if sorts if his routine is disrupted?  

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Can you put together a book? A book of pictures of the airport, then plane, the resort, what will be there. Can you tell a socail story about what will happen, what he will need to do, set up the expectation of what he will be expected to do... What might be hard for him, what he can do when things get hard for him. 

I would def. plan on bringing a tablet, headphones, books... Some small toys... Explain during take off what he will need to do. (Turn off electronics for a few minutes) Id make sure he was well rested with snacks he likes. Hoping youve picked a good time for him for the flight... :) my worst mistake was having to wake my guy up (he was little, maybe 3) to get on an early flight... So he was a bit grumpy.. And then we were delayed.. UGH, awful. LOL...  My guy is a night owl.. So Ive learned to do the exciting night flight.. (Works for him, but I know, NOT everyone)... One year going to PR, I gave him a new tiny action figure every time he had to do somethng new... 1 for going thru security-- then the focus was on the toy,,. Then 1 for waiting at the terminal.. Then a new one for the flight.. (The 3 new action figures played together on the plane)... Lol.. You get the idea.. New, fun exciting.. New movie, new book... :) 

enjoy! 

HippoCat
by Hadley on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I took my son to NZ when he was 2.5 and he did awesome on the plane and airports! Well, on the way there. I realized the difference was in my planning. For the trip there I planned for months including activities, snacks, books, kindle movies. I planned when we would do each and what we would do next. People actually complemented me on how well behaved he was. I was very attentive to his needs and it was my main goal to help him through the traveling. Patience, patience, patience. On the way back, we were just going home. I threw everything in a bag. I didn't have enough snacks, activities, diversions- he cried and screamed for hours nd people kept trying to offer (friendly) tips amongst the covering of their ears. :) So, I say plan it all, be prepared, have your "tool kit" available and ready for anything that could cause a problem and be prepared for both flights. Also, just know and feel that he will do great and he will! It's also great that he is older so you can talk about it and possibly do social stories or even visit the airport before you go. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:03 AM

These ladies have some good advice...good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)