Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worried about my baby - Updated

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:21 PM
  • 15 Replies

So my four year old, Jonah, is on the spectrum.  Mild to moderate autism.  He's great, very high functioning, improving rapidly... we're happy.  It is difficult, but we're really thrilled at his progress.  My baby boy just turned one last month.  We learned we were expecting him the same week we learned Jonah may possibly be autistic.  It was a crazy week!  

Anyway, Lincoln is very sweet, pretty engaged, will respond when you talk to him, looks us in the eye, pretty verbal (a few words, but mostly babbling.)  He seems great.  Except for the physical milestones.  He is still army crawlilng everywhere.  He pulled up to his knees for the first time last night, and hasn't make any attempts to pull to a stand.  He just doesn't seem interested in it.  He seems to have pretty soft legs.  He plays on the floor most of the day, and is really mobile, but seems content with kind of dragging his body around.  I've been kind of a wreck about it, because I know we shouldn't compare, yada yada yada, but 13 months is really late to not be pulling up.  

Thoughts? 

Edited to Update - My husband took Lincoln in for his well check, because I couldn't face it this morning.  I just broke down in tears because I knew that something was wrong.  And of course, I was right.  Lincoln has really low muscle tone, and we aren't sure why.  Lead exposure was a possibility that the doctor came up with, so he tested him for it, but we don't really think that is it, because we don't know when or where that would have happened.  He also has a speech delay, although he's really only about a month behind.  He's supposed to be at about 8 to 10 words, and he really only says mama and dada, and not consistently.  We're going to start PT and Speech with him, but it is so difficult.  I feel like I'm a terrible parent, because I have two kids that have delays.  And I know that isn't true.  I know that if any of you said that you were a terrible parent because of your child's delays, I'd be all over you, telling you that it isn't your fault, you didn't do anything wrong, etc.  But for some reason, that truth won't seem to translate to me in my head.  I love my kids.  My boys are wonderful and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.  But I'm so brokenhearted about this.

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JorJorsMom
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM

If that's only mile stone that he's not reaching then I wouldn't worry yet.  Some babies just walk a little later than others.  My daughter walked at 13 months and she's typical.  Just keep trying to get him too and he'll catch on soon.  :-)

Macphee
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Honestly, mommy instincts never lie. Have an OT evaluate him.
My first son is on the spectrum, diagnosed at 3. We evaluated our younger one because we thought he had a stutter. He was fine.
HippoCat
by Hadley on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Like Machpee said- follow your instinct, but lots of kids don't walk until later. Does he have anything exciting that might motivate him to pull to stand, like a little activity center? Can you walk with him holding your fingers to encourage him? My son is 4 and has ASD. My daughter is 19mo and pretty clearly NT, but I still worry about her. I just have this little fear when she does or doesn't do something "suspicious." I try not to be scared, but really how could we not be a little concerned with our other children?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:36 AM

A lot of kids are slightly delayed in gross motor...especially if they are right on track with other areas.  You can have him evaluated by a PT just to make sure but I think you're fine:)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:36 AM

Why an OT?  Physical Therapists work with gross motor delays..not OTs.  

Quoting Macphee: Honestly, mommy instincts never lie. Have an OT evaluate him.
My first son is on the spectrum, diagnosed at 3. We evaluated our younger one because we thought he had a stutter. He was fine.

lillettemomma
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:40 AM
My son walked at 18 months and crawled at 17 months before that he had no interest in moving at all....He is now a fully functional 5 year old who walks and runs no problem
kjlmommy
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Thanks for your responses... I've been trying not to worry, and he seems to have picked up on the idea that now would be a good time to start to pull up, and he's been doing so over the last two days.  I think he is going to be ok, but I'm keeping a close eye on him.  

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I use to work in childcare. We had an 18 month old that didn't walk. his mom stated he didn't even pull up to around 16 months. There was absolutely nothing wrong with him. I would talk to the doctor if you are concerned but from experience working with kids for over 8 years I have seen this and the child be absolutely fine. But once again a doctor is the best source of information on this

Macphee
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Quoting darbyakeep45:

Why an OT?  Physical Therapists work with gross motor delays..not OTs.  

Quoting Macphee: Honestly, mommy instincts never lie. Have an OT evaluate him.

My son worked with an OT for gross and fine motor delays from 5 months to 14 months.
BDSMI
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM

My youngest did not walk until 15 months and he is fine.  I just called him a lazy child--he was SO laid back and just not interested nor motivated to do anything--he is 10 years old now and still that way---we just say it he will do it on his time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)