Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Talked to the OT about stimming and question.

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:38 PM
  • 24 Replies

I just thought I would post about what was said. She thinks he's doing it for sensory input. I know a lot of you are familiar with this, but it is so new to me. So, she said to get him to do sensory activities for 8 minutes. I thought it was weird and told her that a couple things that I was doing was working, sort of. Then she made sure to tell me that it has to be for 8 minutes for it to work right. I thought that was a weird amount of time. She gave me ideas of getting him to jump up and down, swing him around, pushing and pulling actions.

So, my question is, can you give me some more sensory activities that I can do with Nicolas since I have to fill 8 minutes. She said depending on how much he stims, I might have to do it several times a day. I am hoping that things get better as his schedule getting back to normal soon and then it will just be weekends that he might need the extra sensory input. Thanks in advance.

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:54 PM

swings, spin boards, sit and spins, trampolines, crash pads, spin him on a desk chair, fidget toys. vibrating toys or pads to sit on, sensory toys (google on amazon), rain makers, colored lights, goo or bubble timers, pin art toys, squishy/prickly animals or balls, anything that provides multi sensory action or that you can do together to make this effect, weighted vests, blankets or lap pads.  Like, spinning on a desk chair while sitting on a vibrating pillow, weighted blanket on top, and playing with some fidget or sensory toys all at the same time.

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Wow! Thanks

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

swings, spin boards, sit and spins, trampolines, crash pads, spin him on a desk chair, fidget toys. vibrating toys or pads to sit on, sensory toys (google on amazon), rain makers, colored lights, goo or bubble timers, pin art toys, squishy/prickly animals or balls, anything that provides multi sensory action or that you can do together to make this effect, weighted vests, blankets or lap pads.  Like, spinning on a desk chair while sitting on a vibrating pillow, weighted blanket on top, and playing with some fidget or sensory toys all at the same time.

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:13 PM

I've been through a lot of OT in the last 5 years with my 3 SN triplets.  ;) 

Quoting Nickmom1118:

Wow! Thanks

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Pillow fights, crashing into couch cushions on the floor, laying on a blanket and being dragged around, pushing heavy (chairs under dining room table) objects (cans in a cardboard flat across the floor) pushing the couch on carpet, (heavy enough to give good body feedback, but not heavy enough to hurt him) a few hardcover books in a backpack, pulling somethng heavy (i like to have tug of wars with sam..lol) or I will wrap a towel or blanket around him chest to mid waist and he has to pull away from me, baths with water in a big tupperware dumped over his head or body, straw blowing (bubbles thru in a bwl) or blowing a cotton ball across the floor (we like to have races to see who can get to the finish line first... 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Www.sensorysmart.com

http://sensorysmarts.com/sensory_diet_activities.html

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Thanks. She did mention anything that is heavy. But just like always. You guys make everything so much clearer. Nicolas would love to be dragged around, and pillow fights. This is all so much at once. But I don't know what I would do without this group!

Quoting SamMom912:

Pillow fights, crashing into couch cushions on the floor, laying on a blanket and being dragged around, pushing heavy (chairs under dining room table) objects (cans in a cardboard flat across the floor) pushing the couch on carpet, (heavy enough to give good body feedback, but not heavy enough to hurt him) a few hardcover books in a backpack, pulling somethng heavy (i like to have tug of wars with sam..lol) or I will wrap a towel or blanket around him chest to mid waist and he has to pull away from me, baths with water in a big tupperware dumped over his head or body, straw blowing (bubbles thru in a bwl) or blowing a cotton ball across the floor (we like to have races to see who can get to the finish line first... 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this
We have something called a dizzy disc (it's similar to a sit n spin) and a indoor trampoline. I used to have a body sock and wouldn't mind getting another. I know my youngest would love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linda733
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Hi..I've been told to do all of those things along with spinning him around in one direction then in the other, squeezing him tight and giving him rub downs which my son absolutely loves. I also help him do little front roll overs on the bed and I bought him a tunnel that folds up like an accordian that he climbs through and i roll him on the floor while hes in it..He's going to be starting outpatient OT in February so I will have a lot more knowledge then. I hope some of that may help but I'm sure the other mothers have a million more ideas then me. 

Linda733
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Thank you. You have provided me with some cool things to try with Zachary :) 

Quoting SamMom912:

BUMBLEscumble
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 3:01 AM

I agree.

Quoting mypbandj: We have something called a dizzy disc (it's similar to a sit n spin) and a indoor trampoline. I used to have a body sock and wouldn't mind getting another. I know my youngest would love it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)