Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gluten free/casein free diet

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi there,

How many of you have tried the gluten free/casein free diet?  My daughter-in-law and son are trying it now with their twins.  It is very restrictive but certainly worth it if you see results.  From my reading, the jury is still out on the results.  What are your thoughts?

Just so you know, I support whatever my children (the parents) are attempting to do for their children.  I won't be arguing with them about their current choice.  I just wonder what you all think.

xo  Nancy

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, no input as we have not tried it.

But as a parent of special needs children and much unwanted advise...good for you for supporting the parents choices.  It will be much appreciated! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  Glad to hear you are so supportive of them:)  I have no experience with this though.  Good luck to you all!

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

We're trying the Gluten Free portion of this right now.  Going into week 2 and it's not been easy.  We've had a few slips (like when my son forgot to take his lunch and had to eat what the school provides which of course there were no gluten free choices).  So, since we're new at it, I don't have a whole lot to say about it at this point.

I think it's great that you're so supportive though!

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that what works for one child may not for another. I don't do the diet but I have heard of mom's swear about the results. I am all for doing whatever works for your kiddos. Welcome to the group Nancy

rollin3kidsdeep
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Dsd has been on it for a year. The only change we've noticed is her weight skyrocketing. Her bio mom feels it helps but we don't see a change
JennaPBug
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM

We've been on it for 2 months and counting. We did it mainly to help out his GI problems, which did improve slightly. Behavior wise, he did stop with some of his stimming issues. Cutting Casein stopped his need to chew on everything and I've noticed he spins a lot less without the gluten. His attention has gotten a lot worse though, he'll disapear into his own world more often now and ignores everything around him. Its so hard to not have cross contamination with the gluten, so maybe we're not getting the full affect yet.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is on and has been on that diet since 12 months old. He is horribly allergic to cow's milk and wheat. So I obviously don't know if it is truly helpful or not. It helps my son not to swell up in hives! But as for his behavior, I would say it doesn't affect him in that way.

Nana9999
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Thank you for your information JennaPBug.  It's probably going to be trial and error for a while until you come to the place where you are confident it's the right diet for you and for him.  My very best wishes go to you and your family.  You are a good mother. 

MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Mobile Photo

We do GF with limited dairy.

Important to note about this diet: check the poop. The premise of the GF diet is they are having trouble digesting gluten and their poop shows it. If your child is having normal, regular bowel movements (Bristol stool scale) then it may not give you the results you're looking for.

Think of it like this: if your stomache hurts how likely are you to pay attention and be all there? That's the theory behind the GFCF diet. That's how I gage ds' success on it. Is he having foul farts and less than solid stool? That's how I know he's had gluten. I've tested the theory by giving him gluten and measuring how long it takes for his poop to turn. 1 day.
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:58 PM

my friend does a strict low sugar, gluetin free, vegan diet for her entire family, expeically  her son with tourettes. She says that everyone at home and at school notice when he is off the diet. 

I have another friend who does the GF diet for her son. She's done it for years and swears it makes a difference. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)