Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What made you choose where you live?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:09 PM
  • 22 Replies

Is it near family? Job opportunities? School district? Are you staying put for a while or are you planning to  move?

Mine was all of the above until Dh lost his job 3 years ago. Now he has an excellent job but it's a 2-3 hour commute there and sometimes an almost 4 hour commute home. He hates it. Google NJ TURNPIKE...lol!

In the next couple of years, my oldest will graduate college, my daughter graduate HS and D will graduate 8 th grade. We've always wanted to move out of NJ and that was the time we said we'd do so. So it's on our minds again. We would love to move to NC, maybe VA...

Wondering what led you to live where you do?

by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Dh and I both grew up in the same area (we've known each other since we were little, dated in high school and  married while we were still in college).. We moved around a few times for hubby's job (always in PA and not too far from family)  Dan was a youth pastor for 6 years and then he got a job offer to be the lead pastor of the church we are at now. We moved from Gettysburg to just north of Pittsburgh 8 years ago and we are about an hour and 45 minutes from family but we meet up with them in Pittsburgh often and they are here a lot. We really like the area we live in and Ashton was dx 6 years ago so we have a lot of support around here and I can't imagine moving and starting over again... But k there is always the possibility but I would really like to stay in the general area... I have only ever lived in PA.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:17 PM

We both grew up here, and our families are still here.  We moved away after college, but moved back 6 years later once we had our oldest child.  We were both raised living near our grandparents and wanted that for our kids.  Unfortunately the jobs, entertainment, excitement was much more appealing those years in Chicago than our entire life in Iowa.  But with the kids we ended up with, being closer to family should be better in the long run.  Hopefully the employment, schools, and such will work out. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

That is adorable!!falling in love

Quoting Charizma77:

Dh and I both grew up in the same area (we've known each other since we were little, dated in high school and  married while we were still in college).. We moved around a few times for hubby's job (always in PA and not too far from family)  Dan was a youth pastor for 6 years and then he got a job offer to be the lead pastor of the church we are at now. We moved from Gettysburg to just north of Pittsburgh 8 years ago and we are about an hour and 45 minutes from family but we meet up with them in Pittsburgh often and they are here a lot. We really like the area we live in and Ashton was dx 6 years ago so we have a lot of support around here and I can't imagine moving and starting over again... But k there is always the possibility but I would really like to stay in the general area... I have only ever lived in PA.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I hope it does work out. It seems like when all those things aren't in place, it makes DH and I really want to start somewhere else. But I imagine Chicago is a  different world than Iowa!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

We both grew up here, and our families are still here.  We moved away after college, but moved back 6 years later once we had our oldest child.  We were both raised living near our grandparents and wanted that for our kids.  Unfortunately the jobs, entertainment, excitement was much more appealing those years in Chicago than our entire life in Iowa.  But with the kids we ended up with, being closer to family should be better in the long run.  Hopefully the employment, schools, and such will work out. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Yes.  It was a lot different when it was just me and hubs or us and the 1 NT child.  But now with the addition of 3 SN children and 2 with long term assistance needed, it just makes more sense to try to make it work here if at all possible.  But the 6 years on our own living it up was great!  We can say we did it and now just focus on what's needed without feeling we didn't have our time.  As long as the job thing can support us we will stay. 

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

I hope it does work out. It seems like when all those things aren't in place, it makes DH and I really want to start somewhere else. But I imagine Chicago is a  different world than Iowa!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my goodness...the first 3 lines I could have written myself, lol!!!  Except we were married after college instead of still in it!   

Quoting Charizma77:

princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:30 PM

We live in Texas near my family. DH wants to move to Wisconsin near his famiily.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:30 PM

That's what we should have done but we were just too excited to wait but I ended up dropping out of college and working instead.  But, I had no clue what I even wanted to study in college and was changing my major around a few times so it was ok.. I would like to go back one day but still not sure for what..

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Oh my goodness...the first 3 lines I could have written myself, lol!!!  Except we were married after college instead of still in it!   

Quoting Charizma77:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My hubs did the same thing.  Went 2 years because his parents felt he needed to go after high school but never knew what he wanted to be there for.  Finally dropped out and just went to work while I continued school.  Then we moved to Chicago and followed around various jobs.  Now he works, and I'm at home with the kiddos.  (Sorry Mom and Dad for that expensive education for me to stay home with the kids now, lol!)   

Quoting Charizma77:

That's what we should have done but we were just too excited to wait but I ended up dropping out of college and working instead.  But, I had no clue what I even wanted to study in college and was changing my major around a few times so it was ok.. I would like to go back one day but still not sure for what..

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Quoting Charizma77:

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Awww you have such a great outlook on everything! That's why DH and I didn't have kids the second we got married...we wanted to travel a little and have some fun with each other. Good thing, too...been married 21 years and we get on each other's nerves lol.

I always wonder how helpful our families would be if something happened to DH and me. They are just so uninvolved and incapable in my opinion. I have my older two, so I'm hoping they would be there for him.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Yes.  It was a lot different when it was just me and hubs or us and the 1 NT child.  But now with the addition of 3 SN children and 2 with long term assistance needed, it just makes more sense to try to make it work here if at all possible.  But the 6 years on our own living it up was great!  We can say we did it and now just focus on what's needed without feeling we didn't have our time.  As long as the job thing can support us we will stay. 

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)