Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My son is doing great!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Jen
  • 14 Replies
3 moms liked this
My son is 16. Dx at 7 with aspergers and ADHD. He also was treated for SPD and auditory processing disorder and he also later developed anxiety and depression, which is not an issue for him now but we watch it.

Anyway, he is in 10th grade, taking honors classes that usually juniors take and he has a 4.0 gpa.

Last year he was in classes that offered support but because he did not use them, we choose to move him to the harder classes to see how he did. And he's doing great. They can't see what to put for his IEP and so we all agreed that we would make it a gifted only IEP.

Part of me is scared to let it go. But he honestly doesn't need it and so I am thrilled! I feel like its one step closer to him being successful. He still struggles with social things, he prefers to be at home, but the schools tells me he is talking to kids at school. And that other kids recognize he is smart and will ask him questions in class and that he does a good job explaining it to them.

So that's my good news! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildchild.com
by Janine on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:02 AM
That's wonderful! I love hearing good news like this. Thanks for sharing :-)
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Are you kidding me, Jen? That's AWESOME!!!!!

It gives so many of us hope. I love hearing about older teens and how they are doing,  so this one made me smile this morning!

samomama
by Sally on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:24 AM

So great to hear that, Jan! I am proud of your son. I know, it is hard to let go. After many interventions, and issues and diagnoses you are surprised and very happy that your child I'd doing really really well, and you are afraid that if you let go, things may not look so bright for long. But chances are he will keep shining. Allow yourself to just be happy and proud at this moment... 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM

That is amazing!!!!  I'm sure many of us have goals that our children will one day outgrow their IEPs (although my reality creeps in more and more each day to why that won't happen for a couple, lol).  But awesome!!  You are living the dream!!  That is great for him!!  You have to be so proud!!!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:04 AM

That is fantastic! Brings me great hope!

bouncing mom

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 11, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Love this!!!  Yay!!!

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 11, 2014 at 7:37 PM

That is wonderful...such good news. Not everyone has to be a total social butterfly :) It takes all kinds of people and it sounds like he has found his groove...I am so happy for you!

jowen905
by Jan on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:55 PM

That is fantastic!!

Can I ask - what type of support was offered in the classes that he took last year?  We're in the middle of setting up an IEP for my 12 year old son (6th grade) with HFAD and SPD.   I'm wondering if there are other supports that I can request for him that I don't know about......thanks!

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:54 PM
In middle school he had a teacher who basically looked out for him with the help of paras. They have something at the end of the day called EO and it's like a class. Except they can use it to do homework or even go visit other teachers to get clarification if needed. Every student had EO.
The EO teacher would make sure he was organized and had all he needed. He was offered a locker close to his EO class too. At one point he was being taken out of his classes for testing but that wasn't on his IEP! He didn't care about that but I told them at his IEP meeting anyway and they made sure it stopped. Lol
He also was given double school books so we could keep a set at home. That helped with homework.
His IEPs generally always addressed his ADHD symptoms. He is so forgetful.

Quoting jowen905:

That is fantastic!!

Can I ask - what type of support was offered in the classes that he took last year?  We're in the middle of setting up an IEP for my 12 year old son (6th grade) with HFAD and SPD.   I'm wondering if there are other supports that I can request for him that I don't know about......thanks!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tictacmama
by Arlea on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM

that is awesome news :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN