Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What the...

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son has severe ADHD, PDD-NOS, Speech Articulation Disorder, and Oppisitional Defiant Disorder. When I had a consult with a doctor from Dartmouth he said soon with the new DSM PDD-NOS is going to not be a diagnosis anymore, and hes not going to put him as autistic because hes not. Isnt PDD mild autism? And so if its just going to disappear, how am I going to get him extra help if he needs it if he doesnt have it as a diagnosis anymore?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SnowWhieQueen
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

id take him to a different doc then because 2 of my sons had the pdd dx and there doc changed it its now call autism spectrum disorder..good luck mama i know how hard it can be at time trying to get them the help they need

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Did the doctor say he thinks he fits under Social Communication Disorder instead? They added this dx to the new dsm saying that alot of kids who are currently labled pdd-nos more appropriately fit under this dx. And with it being a brand new dx I have no idea what services will be offered but researched it some because I was afraid my daughter would be given this dx instead of autism. She got the autism dx so I don't know about the services, sorry ......... BUT I thought once you got a autism dx of any kind (autism, pdd-nos or aspergers) you are grandfathered in. That they can't take that label away and deny services. 

I"m sorry you're going through this. Hope you get everything figured out.

heathers5500
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

If he already had that diagnosis then he keeps that diagnosis, unless you get him re-diagnosed.

BDSMI
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I would seek out a second opinion--PDD NOS is a broad caterogy with the change in how they are labeling autism some diagnosis are included and some are excluded--we are classic autism I would have him reevulated by a new doctor although the testing did not conclusively give us autism with the issue we were having the doc gave him the diagnosis.  The doctor can and did do this to give us the max amount of services--his official dx is ADHD, ODD, autism, and aniexty disorder.

marcie1455
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM

My son had the PDD-NOS dx, it was changed when he tuned 5 to Autism Spectrum Disorder.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:47 AM

PDD-NOS doesn't mean mild.  The spectrum is extremely wide and each Autistic child is different.  My son has PDD-NOS, and he's very low functioning...he's 5 years old with that functions at the level of a 12-18 month old.  I would have him re-evaluated if I were you.  Hugs and good luck!

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM

It does mean mild Autism.  I would ask him again if he meant just getting rid of the PDD-NOS diagnosis and replace it with mild Autism. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 12, 2014 at 3:01 PM

PDD-NOS doesn't necessarily always means mild Autism.  That's the diagnosis my son was given when he was first diagnosed.  He's 5 years old, nonverbal, g-tube fed, and functions at the level of a 12-18 month old.  I wouldn't call him mild.  

I know they are getting rid of PDD-NOS, Aspergers, etc. and just lumping everyone together as Autism, but PDD-NOS never solely meant mild.

Quoting emarin77:

It does mean mild Autism.  I would ask him again if he meant just getting rid of the PDD-NOS diagnosis and replace it with mild Autism. 

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jan. 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM
I know that when they diagnosed my son, they said that under the new stuff, that he was just ASD. But he would have probably fell under PDD-nos if they had been able to use the old test. The spectrum is so big. So, I would definantly go to another dr if they are trying to take it away and you can't get services.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

1. DSM V is often not taken into account. There's a big kerfuffle about it (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/controversial-update-to-psychiatry-manual-dsm-5-arrives/)

2. I would find a doctor that doesn't take away the PDD-NOS label. The way a child is treated w/ PDD-NOS vs. the other disorders you mentioned, is very different....

About the PDD-NOS

PDD-NOS is given to children across the "severity" spectrum.

Some kids exhibit some characteristics of autism, but not all, and are closer to the "aspergers" end

Some kids exhibit some characteristics of autism, but its not clear whether some of those characteristics stem from their "autism" or their intellectual disability

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)