Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

pets

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:53 AM
  • 30 Replies
I am trying to talk my SO into getting a dog for my DS. He loves animals and watching him yesterday just made me want to get him one even more. I have an FB friend that's an ABA therapist who thinks it would be an amazing idea to go ahead and get him a dog. So, I need help. Do any of you have pets (dogs in particular) that your kids LOVE and do so much better with? I have thought of getting a beagle or Rottweiler. I have had family with both which I loved as I grew up! I need help getting him to approve.
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Just from personal experience I would say no to a beagle. They are very high-strung, run in circles around you and are hard to potty train. I wouldn't think they're a very good little kid dog. If your son was older I'd say yes but a toddler probably not. 

Larger breeds are calmer dogs therefore better kid dogs ..... like labs. I've been around many dachshunds that were calm, even with little kids (if you're not interested in a big dog). We're going to get my daughter a dog hopefully for her 3rd birthday, but we'll be looking at mixed breeds/muts. Growing up with several different dogs ..... the mutts were always the best ones.

auntkissy
by Karissa on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Dachshunds and labs are a no go. Don't want a small dog and all labs I have had have been way too high strung during their puppy years. (we have had 3 labs) We hunt too which is why I thought of a beagle. My grandmother had a Rottweiler when I was little whom I loved so much! She was so sweet and mild tempered. She was the best dog ever. When I do pick a dog, I will be taking Hunter with me to pick it out and make sure he loves it.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Just from personal experience I would say no to a beagle. They are very high-strung, run in circles around you and are hard to potty train. I wouldn't think they're a very good little kid dog. If your son was older I'd say yes but a toddler probably not. 

Larger breeds are calmer dogs therefore better kid dogs ..... like labs. I've been around many dachshunds that were calm, even with little kids (if you're not interested in a big dog). We're going to get my daughter a dog hopefully for her 3rd birthday, but we'll be looking at mixed breeds/muts. Growing up with several different dogs ..... the mutts were always the best ones.

heathers5500
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:19 AM

We have a Wire haired Dachsund mix that is Amazing with DS and we have a Boston Terrier mix that is off the wall hyper...We already had our Dachsund when DS was born or I would not have picked one after he was born as their backs can get injured easily.  I would get a pound puppy or older large breed dog. you can also contact Rottweiler rescue. 

BDSMI
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Personally we are cat people but from experience I would find a dog that loves to be hugged, petted, and is extremely laid back not one that barks everytime someone moves--talk to vets and the local animal shelter and let them know why you want a dog and get suggestions as to what would fit best for your house.  The animal shelter may even have a dog perfect for your needs.  We have a cat that is extremely laid back and my son will pet him for HOURS, sleep with him, and the cat sense his needs almost eerie at times---

auntkissy
by Karissa on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM
My stepmom and dad have a LOT of cats. They just don't fit for Hunter at all. He is extremely high strung and becoming aggressive. He also doesnt understan. How to not hurt someone or something. (we are trying our best to teach him). My dad has a West Highland Terrier whom he loves, but he likes stealing Hunter's food too much and that makes Hunter angry and he bites him. I plan to have Hunter around the dogs a few times before we choose to make sure they are a perfect fit. I need a very laid back non-aggressive dog that WILL play chase with Hunter. (his favorite game)

Quoting BDSMI:

Personally we are cat people but from experience I would find a dog that loves to be hugged, petted, and is extremely laid back not one that barks everytime someone moves--talk to vets and the local animal shelter and let them know why you want a dog and get suggestions as to what would fit best for your house.  The animal shelter may even have a dog perfect for your needs.  We have a cat that is extremely laid back and my son will pet him for HOURS, sleep with him, and the cat sense his needs almost eerie at times---

auntkissy
by Karissa on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM
That's why I don't want a dachshund. He is so aggressive and I don't want him injuring or killing the dog. We are in the process of teaching him not to hit or bite, but we aren't there yet. I think a dog would be a great asset to help teach him and hopefully cut down on the meltdowns also.

Quoting heathers5500:

We have a Wire haired Dachsund mix that is Amazing with DS and we have a Boston Terrier mix that is off the wall hyper...We already had our Dachsund when DS was born or I would not have picked one after he was born as their backs can get injured easily.  I would get a pound puppy or older large breed dog. you can also contact Rottweiler rescue. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

We have 3 miniature dachshunds.  They are 6, 7, and 9 years old.  All boys.  We had them all before Brady was born.  Brady is now 5 years old and he's just now (in the last year) paying attention to them, watching them, trying to touch them.  He is very gentle with them as he's a gentle child overall.  The dogs are VERY protective of Brady.  He is learning to love them...he puts his hand out for the dogs to "kiss" his hand.  Very sweet!  

aakeiser
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I would recommend a puppy first of all because we have two older mix breeds and they really didn't want much to do with our son. in fact they ran from him. One day we decided to get a puppy, and we were looking to adopt one. I was looking for a medium size dog. I dont recommend a small dog they cant handle the roughness and most small breeds tend to bit first. We ended up with a lab mix and later we found out he was part great dane. He high strung but he gets along with my son and I think he understands my son to a point. He is patient with my son and he takes protecting my son seriously. He gets upset when we are gone and he has destroyed toys, shoes, a door, and a couple couches. .I talked toba friend who trains dogs and she felt he is upset because when he is mot with my son he can't do his job, protecting my son. Also we don't know what his life was like before we got him and he was around 12 weeks. My advise you need to get a book and read up on the breeds of dogs and even go ask a a local vet they maybe able to help you. You need to find the breed that fits into your life. Not all lab dane mixes are like my dog. Pug is a good hardy breed and tend to be good with kids. That is the smallest I would go..We also have cats. Most our cats run from our sson. I think it depends on the cat.. getting the dog has helpped my son. He started to talk more because he had something to talk about. He also would go with me to let the dogs out in our back yard and he would walk his dog around. Basicly it motivated him to move and do things. Now the dog is the size of a large lab and he is 4 years old my son can't walk him around but he still helps me get the dog in or if the dog gets out and runs the city my son is trying to find him. Good luck...
aakeiser
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Sorry my post is so long...
auntkissy
by Karissa on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Thanks for the input! Your post is extremely helpful. We plan to get a puppy to grow with Hunter. He has regressed in speech so I am hoping a puppy will hopefully help pick his speech back up. I have high hopes for having a dog to help Hunter. My experience with small dogs is about how you put it. They tend to be the first ones to bite. My dad's dog is high strung, but for the most part he's pretty good with Hunter. He gets bit on the nose or ear when he makes Hunter upset and doesn't bite back. Westies are too high maintenance though. They constantly have to go to the vet for allergies and everything! We plan to fence our back yard in around February or March. So, hopefully we can look at getting a dog soon after. My SO is big on keeping the dog outside, but hopefully once we get the dog, he will change his mind.

Quoting aakeiser: I would recommend a puppy first of all because we have two older mix breeds and they really didn't want much to do with our son. in fact they ran from him. One day we decided to get a puppy, and we were looking to adopt one. I was looking for a medium size dog. I dont recommend a small dog they cant handle the roughness and most small breeds tend to bit first. We ended up with a lab mix and later we found out he was part great dane. He high strung but he gets along with my son and I think he understands my son to a point. He is patient with my son and he takes protecting my son seriously. He gets upset when we are gone and he has destroyed toys, shoes, a door, and a couple couches. .I talked toba friend who trains dogs and she felt he is upset because when he is mot with my son he can't do his job, protecting my son. Also we don't know what his life was like before we got him and he was around 12 weeks. My advise you need to get a book and read up on the breeds of dogs and even go ask a a local vet they maybe able to help you. You need to find the breed that fits into your life. Not all lab dane mixes are like my dog. Pug is a good hardy breed and tend to be good with kids. That is the smallest I would go..We also have cats. Most our cats run from our sson. I think it depends on the cat.. getting the dog has helpped my son. He started to talk more because he had something to talk about. He also would go with me to let the dogs out in our back yard and he would walk his dog around. Basicly it motivated him to move and do things. Now the dog is the size of a large lab and he is 4 years old my son can't walk him around but he still helps me get the dog in or if the dog gets out and runs the city my son is trying to find him. Good luck...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)