Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Potty training

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 4:48 PM
  • 7 Replies

Dd is 4 and on phenobarbital for anxiety.   She was placed with me for adoption last February and I've been trying to toilet training her for six months.  She's in school fulltime and her educational assistant is supposed to put her on the toilet in regular intervals but she fights.   She will go at home if I put her on but doesn't ask.   She is verbal now but was nonverbal until seven months ago.   I've read online that phenobarbital can cause incontinence in animals when used for seizures.  I'm thinking that it numbs her nerve endings so much that she can feel when she needs to go.  Has anyone had this experience?  Do you have any suggestions on how to train her?

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Melissavh
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:42 PM
I have a little boy who is a little over four, he has no interest in the potty I think that there is a post above just about potty stuff
tictacmama
by Arlea on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:12 PM

potty training is often hard for all our little guys. My son is 4 and 1/2 and still wears diapers. We got him training and wearing underwear for about two months ( though he still had to be told to go about eight times a day) then he completely reverted. That was about a year ago. Now we are starting to try again with less pressure. Good news is my 1 and 1/2 year old is starting to train and that is making Xavier want to be trained too.

My only advice is do whatever method works for you and if she is fighting it that much in school, you might want to just focus on it at home till she is more comfortable. That way she won't revert like my son did.

Good luck!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:04 PM

It took us a year to get Ashton completely trained and he was 5 when he was trained and has no medical issues but a lot of sensory issues, which was our biggest issue we had when training him. With a lot of consistency, patience and routine we finally got there, his preschool teacher was on the same page so that helped. We also used PECs cards that we kept next to the toilet and sink that walked him through each step so he could do it own his own.  It every child is different and what works for one might not work for another but this is what worked for our son. Good luck!

N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:40 PM

My son is 5 years old. And not near potty training. He cant walk so we dont think he can fill when he goes. He also has autism so he has a speech delay

princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:26 AM

What we did with my son was put lots of toys, books and the ipad in the bathroom. Gave him a lot to drink. He wasn't allowed to come out of the bathroom untill he went pee. It took a few hours and he fussed but eventually he realized he wasn't getting out of the bathroom until he went. Then after he pees I gave him a reward (candy) and lots of praise. Then he got 15 minutes outside of the bathroom.

adoption2013
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Thanks for the help

Cbadmom
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:56 AM

I used a sticker chart. At first, if my son just went into the bathroom and touched the potty he got a sticker. Five stickers equalled a present (a Thomas the train). I wanted it to be easy so he would feel successful and I wanted the prize to be BiG. After he mastered touching the potty, he had to sit on the potty to get a sticker. Again, 5 stickers equalled a train.  After he mastered sitting, he had to actually peepee in the potty to get a sticker, 5 stickers equalled a train.  etc.   We kept the sticker chart taped to the bathroom door so he could see his progress. The kids have to WANT to do it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN