Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

knowing what's best

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:51 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just wanted to give a word of encouragement ..... Something I even need reminded of often in troubling times. And that word is you really do know what's best for your child. Every child is different and only we, their parents, know what will work. Now of course we need guidance from doctors and therapists, but if you feel they're steering you wrong, listen to that feeling. And if you think something will work for your child that isn't really recommended...... Give it a try.
I'm saying this because a few days ago it rained here and my dd wanted to play in the rain. She has rain boots she's never worn because she kicks and screams every time we try to get them near her. Well my dh and I decided to force them on and carry her to the deep puddles. Yes she screamed and threw her body around and I half thought if someone saw us they'd call CPs. But I just knew in my heart if she saw she was allowed to jump in puddles shed wear them. And just as I thought.... The moment she started jumping she didn't hate her boots anymore. In fact she's brought them to us to put on her everyday since because she wants to go in the water again.
So go with your gut.....something awesome could happen.

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 13, 2014 at 6:35 AM

Great advice mama....love that she likes her boots now:)  Thanks for sharing!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:55 AM

im actually reading a book called "the spark" a story to teach how WE as moms know our kids and whats best for them. :) 

its wonderful. 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:56 AM

I just wanted to clarify.. The puddle jumping and her having fun and your listening to yourself is wonderful.. The book is too..lol

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:44 AM

This is great. Thanks for sharing this. You are so right. No one knows our children the way we do. No one can predict them the way we can. I have heard so many times before that my son did great in certain situations that he should be fine this time. I can look at my son and see the stimming and the edge of a meltdown coming and they look at him and say see he is fine. I know the moment we get to wherever we are going he will go into full meltdown mode so I will decline going in those instances. My sisters try to understand and sometimes just stand back and say what is wrong. I tell them and they can't believe that this was the same little boy smiling and playing a few minutes ago but now that someone touched him or there is a sound he doesn't like he is screaming. They really do try and for the most part have learned to take my judgement as being true. 

HippoCat
by Hadley on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Wonderful advice! I have a puddle jumper too!

Krissyc75
by Kristin on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Thank you for the words of encouragment:) and Im happy to see she has overcome her fears:)

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Amen

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Thanks for sharing your story. That is awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aakeiser
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Your right..I always tell moms to listen to their gut.. we know when something is wrong with our children no matter how anyone feels about it. The last psychologist I took my son asked a question that shocked me. We had a few professionals in my son's life that went against his dx. One set up the appointment with the psychologist. I told her that this person went against his dx. She looked at me and asked me what I thought. She then told me I am with my son almost 24/7 and I know him better than anyone. I told her I believe he is on the spectrum and he has sensory issues. He got dx at age of 4 and we just had him reevaluated in july, that is when ocd and adhd was added. She even said he had these two evaluations and she was not going to go against it.
Macphee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Love this.
We had ds playing in mud to help his sensory. Amazing, people called me strange. His neurotypical brother loves it too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)