Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help with any kind advice! Thanks! (Behavior)

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:40 AM
  • 4 Replies

My son is 5 he's name is Joshua he has asd and hyoptonia and here is my problem....i have a daughter as well she is currently 16 months and hes behavior towards her is terrible....i just don't know what to do...he smacks her, pulls her hair, yanks her hand, makes her trip and hit her with objects and dosne't want to share anything of he's especially what he has a obsessions with like hes balls and cars but nothing really...he runs to her in anger half the time....i have tried to pull him away from her...also said soft and taught him how to pat softly, said no...yelled because it was becoming dangerous iam so scrared he will really hurt her to the point of hospilzation don't want to think of it that way but we have gotten some close calls...its hard to keep up with him and her she is in the explring stage and running around everywhere and most of the time he will follow her to bug her on purpose it seems.... i just don't know what to do...i feel so helpless and at times depressed and even cry because i love them both and i want them to get along some how...iam always the refree and dont have to much time for anything when there both here with me....please any advice will be great...thank you.

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:30 AM

Welcome to the group!  Where is Joshua at developmentally?  What do you think he understands?  If he understands what he's doing is wrong, then you could try giving him consequences for his actions towards his sister.  What about redirecting him to play nicely with her?  Does that work?  Is he in therapy of any kind...ABA maybe?  How about school?  How does he do with other children?

Pieceofme
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Hello :) .....development wise he is about 18-24 months old when he is actually 5.....he goes to a special needs school....but i think he learn bad things from the other kids like the pulling the hair...i saw another child pull hes hair and pulls other kids hair and since then i seen him learn from that and now pull hes sister hair.....at times it seem he understands but he keep on doing it and i time he seem clueless what he did wrong...and i have tried him to play nice and taught him.....iam waiting for medicaid to approve hes aba therapy....but he goes to all therapies besides that one iam on hold for.....he goes to physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy....just feel helpless at this point

AspieAuntie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Welcome to the group! I can't really give advice as my kid is an only child and I never experienced this kind of thing, but I'm sure these helpful and experienced mamas can give you some great ideas! Hang in there!

emarin77
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Sounds like an anger/communication issue.  My son had the same problem at 3.  My husband and I gave time outs to our son when he hit or kicked one of us.  We taught him to use his words, "I'm angry," at the beginning and ending of a time out.  We repeatedly had to do this when he hit and within a few months he was using his words.  If your son is not able to speak teach sign, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)