Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you participate in your child's therapy?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:15 AM
  • 57 Replies

Do you go with them to therapy?  Do you stay in the room with them?  How about if your child has therapy at home...do you stay with them?

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:20 AM

Brady is 5 years old and started therapy at 4 months old.  They came to my house (PT & OT) until he was about 18 months old...then we went to their clinic for sessions.  I went back with him for several months until he was comfortable.  Now, that place is like a 2nd home for my child....he LOVES it!  I usually go back with him about once/month to get details on how he's doing, to see what he does for them, etc.  Otherwise, I let him go back by himself and then get a report from the therapist afterwards.  This is all for OT/PT/Feeding.

Now, for Speech therapy, I go back with him always.  We've only been there for about 6 months and Brady nor I am comfortable with him going back to have session without me.  

ABA therapy is done at my house, and he gets 6 hours/week.  His ABA therapist has been with us for about 3 years.  She is amazing and a member of our family.  I used to participate in every minute of his ABA when he was younger, but not anymore.  Brady doesn't cooperate if I'm in the room.  All he wants is to sit in my lap and hewon't participate, cooperate or anything if I'm there.  They work on shapes, colors, matching, sounds, etc.  Brady LOVES his ABA therapist and will do much better if I'm not there.  I usually come in and participate at the very end of each session and I usually help when she's feeding him as well as they are working on him drinking out of a cup.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:05 AM

D doesn't have therapy anymore.

auntkissy
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Hunter has speech therapy. Michelle (speech therapist) comes to our house once a week. Hunter loves her. I am always present and we talk a little, but usually we just all play with Hunter while talking and trying to get him to talk or just make sounds. She has only been here a month, but he has enjoyed her from the very first time she came by.
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:19 AM
He isn't really in therapy. Unless you count what they do at school. And I'm not there (although sometimes I do watch).
He also does get some therapy as part of a study he is in. And I stay with him for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:40 AM

For speech and ot I don't go into the room. The facility is so small I can hear them. I can hear him protest and I can hear when he laughs. For ABA I am in the room for part of it then I leave so his ABA can work with him. I do have a monitor on that I can hear downstairs what is going on at all times.

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:17 PM
I have always been with him in his therapies. He just transitioned to private therapy from EI. EI wanted the parents there so you can do what they do when they aren't there. Now, his speech, Ot, and PT is private. They have mentioned me not being there but I'm not comfortable with it. Of course he gets the therapy at school alone.
lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM
They come to our home. I try to leave the room and a few minutes later they call me back in.
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Depends on the day and the child.  I usually have more that one kid in therapy at the same time but with different therapists so I kind of alternate.  Often I'm at the hospital therapy with one while my mom is at home with the home therapy OT so we flip who does what what week so I can keep up on progress.  My little daughter I am usually always with her.  My son I'm with him or sitting right outside the door (sometimes it is just better not to have mom in the room or he will think I'm his ticket out of there.) My other daughter often goes in alone as she is the most functional and the other two's medical needs require me to be available to them quicker.  Plus she's adjusted the best and likes to go in alone.

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:06 PM

When my son was having his therapy at home, I was a part of that therapy. After all he was only going to have the therapist there for so many hours a week, and he needed a bit more than they could give, i.e. as much as possible. I couldn't continue with that therapy so that it actually helped him if I wasn't part of his therapy.

Now, while he's at school, I'm not in there with him, but we do things at home that are on the same page as they are at school. So that he isn't only getting the work and the practice while he is at school.

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:59 PM

With my oldest I do stay with him, when he goes to speech. With my youngest, we stay in the waiting room when he goes to his therapies. If I went into the room with him, he would never leave my side and would be more concentrated on me then his therapy. He's a big momma boy and I swear the umbilical cord wasn't cut...lol

at the end of therapy with do talk with his therapist for 10-15 mins on what he is doing and how he is doing. They always keep us informed. At the beginning of his therapy, we talk for 5 mins on how he's doing at home and school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)