Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of school does your child attend?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:21 AM
  • 93 Replies

Private school, public school, charter school, homeschool?  How did you come to that decision?

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Darby on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Brady currently goes to public school...he's in his 3rd and final year of special ed preschool.  He will go to Kindergarten next year at a private school for Autistic children.  We are very excited about that!

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:06 AM

D goes to public. I just thought it'd be better for him all around with other kids, therapies,etc. I always thought about homeschooling but think it would be more harmful than beneficial to him.

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:49 AM

My son goes to a puublic Elementry school. But I am thinking of homeschooling him for middle school.

by Mariah on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:41 AM
My son goes to a public school in a typical classroom...the teacher and staff there are so nice. It has definitely helped him socially.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Public School. Jonathan was in early intervention and when he aged out the school system just took over. I really had not decided which one I would have preferred so it just worked out

by Jen on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM
My older kids were in private school for preschool and elementary school. I loved their private school but it had some serious issues with administration that was starting to trickle down to the classrooms and I was NOT going to spend that much money for poor service. So we switched them to public.
My youngest is in a phonology class one hour a week thru the public preschool. He also attended a language acquisition preschool thru the University of Kansas where their focus is developing language. He has goals there for making eye contact, having conversations, improving speech and following directions. He's there because I want those extra services and public preschool won't address them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Arlea on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Special needs public school. We chose it because it was the best school for his needs right now. We hope to get him into a main stream school in to future. But we will take it as it comes.

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM

My son started in Catholic school for kindergarden. Diagnosed that year.  For first grade and currently in 3rd grade he is in public school mainstreamed but pulled out for help everyday.  My decision was he needed the socialization and the programs available in public school vs. private school.  He loves it and has no issues.  This is the first year he is riding the bus and doing well with it.

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM

My kids are in public school. We don't have any private schools in our town that would be a fit, and besides we make extensive use of services at the public school, especially the counselor. She's marvelous, and my daughter, who has extensive emotional needs, is well bonded with the counselor. The private schools here don't have counselors, and that's a deal breaker for me.

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Public School, Sophmore in Highschool. Honestly, never really thought of sendinghim any where else.  He was only dx 2 yrs ago.  The school has always met his academic needs except for a 1 teacher who thought he needed to be taught a lesson on paying attention and basically set him up to fail a 9 weeks by not setting firm deadlines and when i asked for clarification she didn't disclose the full scope of the project. To this day I cannot stand her. Currently the learning support staff my D works with are amazing. They let him do for the most on his own and only reels him in when he goes off track or he asks for help ( which is a new and great thing for him)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)