Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A different kind of vent

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:51 PM
  • 9 Replies
I was a member of an autism support group on Facebook and a mom on there was complaining about a note her sons preK teacher sent home.

Basically the teacher asked the mom to not send her child to school in a snowsuit because it was taking upwards of 15 minutes each morning to take his shoes off, take the snowsuit off, then put his shoes back on and get him settled in class. Then she had to repeat the process at the end of the day when school was over, taking another 15 or so minutes. He only goes to school for 3 hours a day, so a teacher having to take 30 minutes each day to do this is quite significant.

The mother got pissed and took her kid out of school, contacted the principal and the head of the program, getting the teacher in trouble.

This pisses me off, that this mom was just soooo outraged.

First we live in Kentucky, it gets cold sure but when your kid is leaving a warm house, getting into a warm car and then into a warm school, a snow suit is not a necessity, especially if it is effecting an entire classroom.

Honestly moms like this give the rest of us autism mom's a bad name and it really makes me angry because people already treat us poorly.

/end vent
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I live in Tn and the weather gets cold but like you it rarely that cold a snowsuit is required. I don't understand why the mom was so upset. Like you pointed out the kid is not outside long enough to get really cold. If I were the teacher I would have mentioned not using the snowsuit too.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:17 PM

My only question would be does this child have an extreme intolerance to the cold? If being cold for even a small amount of time is going to cause him to have a meltdown that could last 30 minutes to an hour ..... then 15 mins at the beginning and end is a better solution. But this would be the ONLY reason I can see her getting upset ...... if her son can not tolerate cold whatsoever and has previously discussed this with the school.

And the reason I would think about this is I have hypothyroidism and I HATE the cold. When I took a class over pain management for labor and delivery (because I wanted to do natural labor) they had us stick our hands in water to see how long we'd last. The instructor told me to take my hand out because I was going pale and nearly passed out. I can't handle cold ..... but I did natural labor quick successfully.

Paperfishies
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:31 PM
She didn't mention anything about him being intolerant to cold. Also, snow suits aren't safe for car seats, so that's another issue.

I'm hypothyroid too but I'm the opposite, I love to be cold and HATE being warm.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

My only question would be does this child have an extreme intolerance to the cold? If being cold for even a small amount of time is going to cause him to have a meltdown that could last 30 minutes to an hour ..... then 15 mins at the beginning and end is a better solution. But this would be the ONLY reason I can see her getting upset ...... if her son can not tolerate cold whatsoever and has previously discussed this with the school.

And the reason I would think about this is I have hypothyroidism and I HATE the cold. When I took a class over pain management for labor and delivery (because I wanted to do natural labor) they had us stick our hands in water to see how long we'd last. The instructor told me to take my hand out because I was going pale and nearly passed out. I can't handle cold ..... but I did natural labor quick successfully.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Some people just like to overreact. I don't see how this was a rational reason to pull a kid out of school. It's just communication.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Yeah, I think that mom went way overboard. 

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Is your current dose of meds too high? Not trying to sound snooty ..... don't know how this will come off to you in a written message. I'm just wondering because intolerance to cold is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Intolerance to heat is a symptom of hyperthyroidism ...... which you can put yourself in a state of hyper if your meds are too high. If you've always been this way then maybe that's just you ..... I also have low blood pressure, could be why I'm more sensitive to cold.

Quoting Paperfishies: She didn't mention anything about him being intolerant to cold. Also, snow suits aren't safe for car seats, so that's another issue.

I'm hypothyroid too but I'm the opposite, I love to be cold and HATE being warm.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Paperfishies
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I've just always been intolerant to heat and preferred to be cold.  

I get lab work done every 3 months to check my thyroid. :)

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Is your current dose of meds too high? Not trying to sound snooty ..... don't know how this will come off to you in a written message. I'm just wondering because intolerance to cold is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Intolerance to heat is a symptom of hyperthyroidism ...... which you can put yourself in a state of hyper if your meds are too high. If you've always been this way then maybe that's just you ..... I also have low blood pressure, could be why I'm more sensitive to cold.

Quoting Paperfishies: She didn't mention anything about him being intolerant to cold. Also, snow suits aren't safe for car seats, so that's another issue.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 17, 2014 at 5:28 AM

Yeah, she totally overreacted there.

johnns
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:47 AM
Crack me up! I'm moving to ND- you reck'n the little kiddies will have extra time to get out of their snow suit? Lol the school is going to be 3 blocks away, I plan to drive. Truth is I don't think I have the patience to load one up in a snow suit.
We lived in MN when I was little, there I was definitely sporting the snow suit! KY? Wouldn't have thought that! Lol
She get nasty with you on FB?
I stopped looking at a couple of those sites, they can get ugly- quick. As long as you 'agree' with everything they say, its cool, but DON'T have a different opinion! I guess I'm not polite enough to keep to myself! Hahaha
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)