Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

swaddling for older kids

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:24 PM
  • 12 Replies

Mobile Photo

Anyone else do swaddling for their autistic kids? My girls love "wrap tight" as odd calls it..... it does seem to help calm them
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:51 PM

my son loves to be held tightly so I bet he would love this too

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:30 PM
That is what the psychiatrist called a taco. I just could never really figure out how to do it. LOL.
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:39 PM

yep loves it 

tictacmama
by Arlea on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I did it for a while and Xavier loved it but then he kept getting out of it and wanting me to do it again (and again and again) so I kinda just got out of the habit of starting it. I also made a wide strip out of sweatshirt-like material that you could tie to the side so only his torso and arms were swaddled, that worked too but I don't remember what happened to it. I should see if I can find it! :)

Glad to see it's not just my guy who likes swaddling!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 17, 2014 at 5:22 AM

Oh I love that!  How cool!

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jan. 17, 2014 at 2:44 PM

My youngest loves to be, he'll be 4 next month. My oldest, he's 7, doesn't like to be.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 3:15 PM

No, that would totally freak my son out! He likes squeezes and hugs, but not swaddling. We've done it in the past during play, but he didn't like it so we stopped.

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Jan. 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM

No, not really. He didn't like to be swaddled when he was a baby -- I'd call him "Houdini" because I'd wrap him up and somehow an arm or leg would pop out. lol

When I put him to bed I play with him by wrapping him up in his blankets and telling him I'm wrapping him up like a burrito. He thinks thats funny.

mamatink7
by Franceska on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM

we call it '5 pt harness' hold. when upset or nervous we put them in front of us and cross our arms over chest. kind of like the car seat idea. it really does the trick (not so much since so big now, still likes tightness though) they always hated swaddling as babies---weird aint it----

heard thats why our kids like car rides so much-tightness and motion relaxes them

Jenniy
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:41 PM

My 6yro sometimes can only fall asleep if he is, I unwrap him after he falls asleep though

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)