Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Routines

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:45 AM
  • 15 Replies
I feel like my house is out of controll there really is no set routine and I think maybe my life would be eaiser with one any one have any ideas to organize this crazy life I have two kids on the spectrum ages 3 and 5 any adivise would help
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:01 AM
I would start with anything that does happen around the same time everyday and go from there. So, for example, if you generally eat lunch between 12:30-1:30, I would just make 1:00 lunch time. The less change you have to adjust to, the easier it will be. Also, schedule things in for when they work for your family, not according to some ideal time. That will cause less resistance. Good luck!
love_my_angels
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Yeah my 5 year old thinks he's in charge and I don't know what to do I'm do loss he does not listen and is do hyper
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Could your 5 yr old help with the routine/ schedule. It might be easier if you create a schedule too. Especially if the 5 yr old wants control. Let him help you decide with a couple choices.

Quoting love_my_angels: Yeah my 5 year old thinks he's in charge and I don't know what to do I'm do loss he does not listen and is do hyper
jowen905
by Jan on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Maybe a chart that shows how the routine for each day is going to go - with pictures, words, whatever might work best for you and for them.  Explain how the chart works and cross off things as they are completed (mayebe they might want to do the crossing off).  You might need to make it very detailed and itemized or just more generalized.  You may have to change the way you set it up, as you try to see what works best.  Make it seem like a "fun" thing to work on.  And try to really stick with it for awhile, even if it doesn't seem to be working well at first, and then make adjustments as necessary.  Maybe rewards (stickers or smiley faces) on the chart if that's something they'd be excited about.   My son never cared about stickers, but some kids do!  Best of luck to you!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:46 AM
I make a schedule everyday so that my son knows what's next on the agenda. It takes away anxiety of what's next for the day. When he was your kids ages we used pictures for his schedule.
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I have 2 kids, both on the spectrum. As far as routines go...the weekends are the same, we eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at the same time. They take baths and go to bed at the same time. During the week, it's a little different. My oldest goes to school, he's in 1st...wakes up, gets dress, then catches the bus, all at the same time each day. In school it's the same schedule every week. After school, he gets a snack, changes out of his uniform. Dinner is the same time as on the weekend, as is bathtime and bed time. My youngest is in his 2nd year of preschool...he gets up about the same time each day, gets dressed, eats breakfast. Then Tuesday-Thursday, he has therapy. He gets a small snack about 11:20am and catches his bus at the same everyday. In school, he has the same schedule everyday. He comes home, gets a snack and the rest of the day is the same as my oldest's. We stick to these schedules everyday. I'm a sahm and dh works. 

We started at having lunch and dinner at the same time and went from there. 

johnns
by Johnna on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM
First few of years of being married,, couple kids that came (NT), I was a MESS! I went and got a book- 1st page said " is it noon and you and your kids still in pj's?" I thought, my gosh, somebody is reading my mail! I guess I thought that since I had said "I do" some magical dust fell on me and I would turn into Martha Stewart! Far from it! I had no idea how to run a household. People seem to think its an easy job, but its not! Well, if your doing it right its not. Its a lot to keep up with a busy family, let alone throw a special needs kid into the mix.
I like to have some structure, but not too much- I get bored easily. Kids thrive on it- ALL kids. Bedtime, lunch, dinner, baths. Make a list of things you know for sure on, then fill in the blanks!:)
mamatink7
by Franceska on Jan. 20, 2014 at 2:37 PM

start small (meals wake up and bed times) then move in and make play times (between this and that times for indoor or outdoor play)

you need to include them-especially your son-ask him what do we do during the daytime? he will say basics (eat sleep play...) make him think HES in charge of his day he is 5, this can be beginning of his independence too..

we have boardmaker plus to make all kinds of schedules (we have morning side and evening side). put envelop at bottom where he can take off and place cards into it as he finishes--yes eventually he wont even need to take off and place in there, but give him a beginning instruction to it. every now and again (couple yrs or so) you will have growth and more responsibilities so it is important. 

GIVE leeway for times, wouldnt even say times yet. he needs to get used to the schedules first. you must because of throwing fits, clean up, in addition to transitions. 

im only mentioning HIM because she will follow suite with what hes doing and make ur life tons easier with them.

IF you want more ideas of how to do it-message me and i will send pics of ours. it has been completely wonderful-his school and therapists LOVE his (we even has to update it now)

princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM

My doesn't have a routine when he get home from school except on therapy day and before bed.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM

These ladies have some great ideas...good luck mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN