Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I forget he can't talk until we are taken out of routine,

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:07 PM
  • 13 Replies
Do you ever get so stuck in routine that you kind of forget you LO can't talk.. On our trip It hit me full force that his way of conveying something is wrong is to whine, scream, scream louder or hyperventilate in tears.

As well as this morning when he realized dad was getting ready to go to work,

I guess I just kind of forget at times!!
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean mama...it's hard.  I do forget at times...mainly when I'm around other kids my son's age who can talk.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM
My son has words but he can't communicate all his needs. So yes sometimes I forget until I'm around other people.
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:03 PM

It is best when we don't compare but it is hard not to when we see other kids or we are having a hard time. I try so hard to just see my son for who he is...a total individual. Not a diagnosis or a condition...just himself. Sounds like you do the same...XO

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Well, he is communicating his displeasure... Lol.. And you get what he means,,, you are an amazing mom for being so great! Hug! 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:45 PM

D was always verbal but I know how much it bothers me when I'm around kids his age and see how much more verbal and social they are than him.  =(

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

With my son, no I NEVER forget.   When he had no language and just the screaming, oy!!  My 2 plus year long headache and high BP would not allow me to forget, ever!

With my 5 year old daughter, yes.  I can easily forget every second until I'm somewhere someone needs her to communicate.  She and I get along just fine unless she is out of sorts being sick and can't communicate what is going on.  But if I go to leave her with someone, then I'm like ok this sound means this, this gesture means this, if she does this then do this, etc.  They are like what are you talking about, and I'm like what, this is just my normal!  Can  you see why I don't leave her with anyone, lol!

Jaydains_mommy
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:44 PM
I know exactly what you mean..I forget a lot when me and my son are around other kid. It used to break my heart because i used to blame myself and ask myself and my mom and my husband what am i doing wrong
Jenn8604
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I haven't forgotten his limited communication skills. I am always aware of it. It just is annoying when he's upset and trying his hardest to communicate and people stare, because kids his size are talking more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Simran81
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:27 AM

My son talks but has low frustration levels and will get upset and cry very frequently as compared to his peers. At home i feel that is how all kids are but realise that 3 year olds are much more flexible and easier to manage when i meet my neighbours' kids.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Yes I do forget. There are times he makes a subtle movement or pulls on me and I just know what he wants. I think that is a mother's intuition. I know my sister's have a hard time unless he specifically states food, more or drink

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN