Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

have to vent-anyone deal with this???

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:10 PM
  • 44 Replies

took 15 yr old son to supper tonight, was supposed to be with friends for a special meal. been talking about it all wk long-pumping him up to eat steak taters and corn-he was so excited to go too!! well friends jipped out on us (again) but he really wanted to go anyways. 

get there, order super fast and he was very hungry. every time they brought steak out- he stole mine said his was brown and not gonna eat (in his nonunderstandable words to others) struggled with few bites then refused and kept stealing my new steak;ended up with 6 steaks altogether for just 2 (rest of kids no go & they kept over cooking)

i was getting so frustrated about him just chewing and not swallowing his food. he would chew then drink forever before swallowing. well his rule on chart is eat 1/2 supper (big fit happen with food). at 1/2 corn 3 fries and barely touches any steak (perhaps 2 from 1st one 4 from 2nd then 7 from 3rd one) just kept chewing chewing chewing.

do you think something else is going on with this (perhaps inability) or just was being stubborn? please this issue is going on for so long, need some advice before i lose my head

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Id think he wasnt getting good oral motor feedback from the steak, it was too chewy, his muscles in his mouth are weak, no? i think he wasnt sure he was chewing enough.. Needing water to soften the meat... Trying other peices since perhaps that was skmething "wrong" with this one, but not that one.. 

Poor thing... :( does he get any speech therapy? Does he have low muscle tone in his body? Corse muscles. You can give him chewy foods to help build muscle, as well as tounge exercises to strengthing his tounge for chewing purposes... 

jesusrocks2013
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Remember that a lot of autistic children have trouble with food acceptance jigsaw ribbon . My daughter does not chew her food, she spits it out. Her food can not have any flavor in it either or color either . It can also be the environment too. Autistic children are very sensitive to their surroundings. One book that I highly recommend to all parents that have autistic children is " Living With Autism : The Parents' Stories." The author of the book is Dr. Kathleen M. Dillon. You can check it out at your local library. I hope that this helps. Many blessings to you and to your family too dear sister. Stay in touch.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I think steak is just a hard food for kids period.  My NT 11 year old still has a hard time trying to eat it.  Half the time he has to spit the bite out or can't swallow it even if it is chased with another food or drink.  I really am not sure it's a 'special needs' thing, just a kid thing. 

mamatink7
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Quoting jesusrocks2013:

Remember that a lot of autistic children have trouble with food acceptance jigsaw ribbon . My daughter does not chew her food, she spits it out. Her food can not have any flavor in it either or color either . It can also be the environment too. Autistic children are very sensitive to their surroundings. One book that I highly recommend to all parents that have autistic children is " Living With Autism : The Parents' Stories." The author of the book is Dr. Kathleen M. Dillon. You can check it out at your local library. I hope that this helps. Many blessings to you and to your family too dear sister. Stay in touch.

he chews and chews and chews; then holds food for hours (what he did 97% of time until got little older, i know he can chew and swollow-perhaps consistancy or texture?/

we went to place right when opened today (4pm on button) for this reason. as time went on, he got more 'hummy' and started flappping arms pretty bad. once he started more and more, he drank more drink then we left. waitress was amazing!! she only charged for 1 meal-even though she had table next to us also and served and had two sets of customers in same time as we took up her one table!!  even told manager how wonderful she was with her understanding.

thank you for advice. i will head to library tomorrow for sure

mamatink7
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

Id think he wasnt getting good oral motor feedback from the steak, it was too chewy, his muscles in his mouth are weak, no? i think he wasnt sure he was chewing enough.. Needing water to soften the meat... Trying other peices since perhaps that was skmething "wrong" with this one, but not that one.. 

Poor thing... :( does he get any speech therapy? Does he have low muscle tone in his body? Corse muscles. You can give him chewy foods to help build muscle, as well as tounge exercises to strengthing his tounge for chewing purposes... 

thank you sooo much!! i am going to speak with his speech this wk regarding this. perhaps she will be able to work more with oral motor skills (moving tongue more and jaw control also). he had steak cut into 1/4 diced size pieces, it was extra tender. 1st was with A1 sauce, then saw mine and stuck with it few bite because he HAS to have little line of pink/ NO brown, due to what u said 'to tough'. 

he does have low muscle tone too. his 1st speech actually moved his bottom chin to loosen muscles and did tongue brushing to work those muscles also. we have stuck with just not having much luck. who works with core muscles? sp ot or pt??

he did have outside OT from hospital therapy-last only 8 wk!!!!! you would be PO like we are still. she dismissed him from therapy because of his age-'its useless and we wont get any further with him due to that part of his brain/ skills have shut down' if that is true- how come he has learned to write his name in last 3 years for first time ever!! 

Linda733
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I make steak and chop it into really tiny pieces and then hide it in the mashed potatoes and vegetables and my son will eat it without a problem. I also do it with pork chops. This way he doesn't have to chew as much. He chews a few times and swallows. I'm learning ladies!!! :) 

mamatink7
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:48 PM

HAHAHA hes 15 1/2 now, i cant trick him like that anymore. used to do quite a bit though. he actually takes apart casseroles or meals if there are more than one food in it now. grrrr

he did really well for awhile then completely regressed 

not saying it wasnt good idea, im glad that it works for you. i may try it small again. getting desperate once again

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:56 PM

"Chewy" was a no no with Dillon. If any food was or looked chewy he's either gag on it or not eat it.

I wonder too if he had problems chewing it correctly since steak can be tough.

Quoting SamMom912:

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:57 PM

I just saw this after I posted my reply. Hope it works out with his speech therapist... Let us know!

Quoting mamatink7:

Quoting SamMom912:

thank you sooo much!! i am going to speak with his speech this wk regarding this. perhaps she will be able to work more with oral motor skills (moving tongue more and jaw control also). he had steak cut into 1/4 diced size pieces, it was extra tender. 1st was with A1 sauce, then saw mine and stuck with it few bite because he HAS to have little line of pink/ NO brown, due to what u said 'to tough'. 

he does have low muscle tone too. his 1st speech actually moved his bottom chin to loosen muscles and did tongue brushing to work those muscles also. we have stuck with just not having much luck. who works with core muscles? sp ot or pt??

he did have outside OT from hospital therapy-last only 8 wk!!!!! you would be PO like we are still. she dismissed him from therapy because of his age-'its useless and we wont get any further with him due to that part of his brain/ skills have shut down' if that is true- how come he has learned to write his name in last 3 years for first time ever!! 

A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't even chew and swallow overcooked steak.  That stuff is like bubble gum.  It is way too chewy, and I just can't make it go down. For the record, anything more than medium rare is overcooked in my book.  :)

Anyway, the other ladies have given you some good advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)