Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Temple Grandin's mother

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:33 AM
  • 5 Replies
So I am reading " The Autistic Brain" by Temple Grandin. She mentioned that growing up her mother only allowed her to stem/use her copping behaviors like spinning, etc. for only 1 hour per dayi imagine so she could be more normal and learn more acceptable behavior. Do you agree with that parenting technique or do you allow your child to do their coping behaviors whenever needed? Personally I disagree with that. If my son needs to rock or bite on a chew tube I let him. But I of course encourage the appropriate behavior.
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AnnaNonamus
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Temple Grandin was raised in a vastly different world. That her mother allowed it at all says more about her mothers acceptance than not. In the 40's, and even up through the 60's, it would not have been uncommon for parents to simply institutionalize a child like Temple, so looking at it that way, the amount of help she received speaks volumes. 

Bobsie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:43 AM
No question about it. Her mother was amazing. But I'm wondering if some of us mothers take a similar approach of restricting their behaviors.
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:59 AM
I want to read that book!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:10 AM
He mostly stims just at home, so idc what he does. When he's out in public if it's running into things or people or anything that could hurt him or others, I don't allow it. But if he wants to jump up and down, more power to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:34 AM

Nope.  I disagree with that kind of thinking for MY child.  I let him stim all he wants to...which is just about all the time.  Plus, if I told him NOT to stim or not to spin, rock, bounce, etc., he wouldn't understand what I was saying anyway.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)