Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Feeling like I could fall apart

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:05 AM
  • 22 Replies

It has only been less than 3 months and my son is already back in the hospital for aggression, self-harming and property destruction. I feel like I could shatter and fall to pieces any moment now. We owe this hospital so much money, they are asking for payments, we are very short on money. Sorry mommies, feeling very depressed over all this. Prayers and support welcome. I want my son back, I want this all to stop so he can be home and stay home; without hurting himself or others and breaking things. I want to cry but I can't. Can anyone else relate?crying

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnns
by Johnna on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm so sorry. I shall pray for you. Hang in there mama
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh my goodness mama. I'm so sorry. I'm sure you're dealing with insurance and all that crap and maybe they're not covering something making bills pile up? I don't know your situation but it sucks that you have to think about money when you need to focus on getting your son the care he needs. What do they want to do .... let him fail in society and maybe end up in jail because you can't afford the treatment he needs?

Have you looked into other avenues of covering the bills? Any grants, non-profits, things like that? Where do you live? Maybe someone on here knows a place that can help. You need to worry about your son making progress, not how you're going to pay the hospital. 

dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Have you thought of going to charities for help? I know a few will do fundraisers for the disabled or cancer patients to help them out with bills. I have a friend who went bankrupt trying to help her disabled daughter in high school long after she maxed out the mental health benefit to her health insurance. She did go bankrupt unfortunately. Have you thought of applying for the Autism waiver in your state to help with the bills. Talk to the hospital to see if they can help you with the insurance end of getting help from the state. Things are doable. Do not give up hope on the entire situaiton.

twofeathers80
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:48 PM

i,can

squwerl
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:50 PM
My grandson is having issues with this as s well. Not sure what to do....
lizzymama0622
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Hugs and Prayers coming your way mama hang in there!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:07 PM

My heart breaks for y and your son. MY most heartfelt prayers --- HUG

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Hugs and prayers mama!

sandie111
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:09 PM

BIG Hugs and prayers

jowen905
by Jan on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so, so sorry that you're going through this.  You are in my prayers, and I'm sending a big hug!  I think some of the moms have some good suggestions for you to check into.  The only advice I can offer as far as the hospital and payments, is to keep communication open with their accounting dept., don't avoid their calls - explain your situation (maybe speak with a social worker at the hospital, also?), and try to work out some sort of small-amount payment schedule.  I live in Missouri, and I've always heard that as long as you are making some effort (whether it's $5.00 a month) that medical facilities cannot come after you trying to garnish wages, etc.  Whether this is really true, or only in certain states, I don't know.  I work in Accounting for a small company, and our CFO is of the thinking that if at least a customer is responding to us and is making an effort to pay, even small amounts, we do not pressure them.  But when people avoid our calls, emails, etc. and are not making any payments at all, then we have to consider a collection agency - of course, that's really a last resort, because it costs our company to go that route. 

Anyway, the most important thing is to get your son home and stable.  I'm sorry, I can only imagine your feelings right now.  Big, big hugs......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)