Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Two steps forward one step back

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM
  • 8 Replies
The past month I seen Andrew back slide a bit.
He was doing okay with his reading and then he started not being able to read words he knows. And he had the hang of his simple 1+1 and now he is having trouble with simple math he has know for a year. I am so sad, Andrew has worked so hard. I am trying to keep up hope he will get caught back up to where he was.
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:29 PM

We have seen Ashton go through this every so often.  He is actually going through it right now, it is frustrating but he is also dealing with some anxiety and change in routine so I think for him that is what it is. Sometimes he just gets bored with a certain subject as well. Have you talked to your sons teacher or therapist about it?

dallascowboys82
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:08 PM
We just seen his Dr two weeks ago, and we talked about it. He told me to keep an eye on it and we will meet in three weeks to see where we are and where we need to go.

Quoting Charizma77:

We have seen Ashton go through this every so often.  He is actually going through it right now, it is frustrating but he is also dealing with some anxiety and change in routine so I think for him that is what it is. Sometimes he just gets bored with a certain subject as well. Have you talked to your sons teacher or therapist about it?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 27, 2014 at 4:48 AM

Hugs mama!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh momma. It will come back to him just don't push him. The one thing about our kiddos is that they do take those steps back but they do take them forward again. HUGS momma.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Hang in there, my son does this a lot.  My son does this when something else is going on (usually when I've yelled at him about something else school related).

Find out if he's doing this at school too.

Give it time, see if you can uncover what else may be bothering him.

shell3m
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Dean has a regression period every three months for two weeks and then he bounces back better than ever.
mariat2
by Maria on Jan. 28, 2014 at 4:22 PM
Same with my boy
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:36 AM

It happens!! I will see a good rate of progress and be so happy and then one bit of regression feels like we haven't gotten anywhere. Don't feel so let down by it...I know it will pick up again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)