Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Homework = Tears & Frustration :(

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Amy
  • 26 Replies

I sure wish there was some way to get my kiddo to actually do his homework without the tears, yelling, and frustration.... his and mine.  There was one day last week he had everything done within an hour of coming home but that was the first time all year!

Does anyone, please, have any tips on taking the hell out of doing middle school homework?

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:49 PM

See if your school has an after school homework group.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Does he have to do his homework when he gets home? Could you find a time when it may be better for him to do? sfter he has come home, had an hour to relax and unwind? Maybe start at 5? Maybe after dinner? he knows theres a problem can he help to find the solution? Im sure he hates fighitng, tears being upset... Maybe if the two of you get your concerns out on the table you can find a mutually satisfactory time and way to get things done without the drama. 

Hugs! 

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:16 PM

We've tried starting after a snack/before dinner, after dinner, finishing in the morning before school, etc.  Nothing seems to help.

Quoting SamMom912:

Does he have to do his homework when he gets home? Could you find a time when it may be better for him to do? sfter he has come home, had an hour to relax and unwind? Maybe start at 5? Maybe after dinner? he knows theres a problem can he help to find the solution? Im sure he hates fighitng, tears being upset... Maybe if the two of you get your concerns out on the table you can find a mutually satisfactory time and way to get things done without the drama. 

Hugs! 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Were these his suggestions or yours? Did he have any input? 

Quoting amonkeymom:

We've tried starting after a snack/before dinner, after dinner, finishing in the morning before school, etc.  Nothing seems to help.

Quoting SamMom912:

Hugs! 

patnic
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Do you think he could qualify for a reduced homework load?  Maybe talk to the teachers, instead of 20 division problems, maybe he could do half?  Or if he is really smart in a certain subject, perhaps, no homework at all?  There are many teachers that feel it is unnecessary to make kids who already know the work do homework.

I know my kids are littlier than your son, but this is what I do.  I sit with them and they have until a count of 10.  If I get to 10, no electronics that night.  So if ds #1 starts to burp (which makes ds #2 lose focus), he gets a 1.  If he starts whining about homework, he gets a 2.  Etc.

I'd also record his behavior.  #1 to show him how he is behaving (of course, share with him during a calm time.)  Maybe ask him how you can help, what can help him, etc.  And I'd keep it for the school - just in case they want to see what homework is like in your house.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:38 PM

No so sorry momma. My kiddos is in preschool. I hope others have some methods of helping you out

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:14 PM
My dd was like that. Just awful. Luckily our library has a homework center that teachers staff so kids can just drop by to do their work. I took her everyday. She was soooo much better behaved for them.

Maybe see if he can do it at school, after school. Ask the teacher for suggestions. Maybe he can get less homework on his IEP?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:20 PM

This is a sore spot in our house too.  I've yelled in the past and my son never forgot that.  He literally blacks out and cannot do things I know he can do.  He does a little better doing homework with peers in latchkey or with my sister after school.  Sometimes we avoid drama if he rides the indoor bike for 20min. but not always.  It's a constant juggling act and we've gotta use a variety of things to help get it done.  

My son is really motivated by shopping/running errands.  Sometimes it takes a timer and a chart system with rewards of shopping to get him going.  

Hope you find something in our toolbox to help.  Good luck:)

shell3m
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:19 AM
I finally talked to Dean's teacher about how he's not handling this well....so now he does it at school. If he does bring some home i just put him in his room and about an hour later he comes out with it done. Getting him away from everyone really helped.
MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:46 AM
My son is in grade one and I have the same problem.. I've talked to his teachers and EAs about it and they say they Don't have issues getting him to do his work.. This was in december when I asked them.. I Dont know how they took it, but they haven't given him any homework since.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)