Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

doctor had no suggestions

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:41 PM
  • 23 Replies
My son had an appointment with his psychiatrist earlier today. He has been picking at his lips and fingers lately. His thumb he has picked at so much that it is now badly infected. We keep treating it and it's slowly getting better. He also scratches and his himself when he is frustrated. I brought all this up to his doctor today. He just told us that it was part of the autism diagnosis and he would eventually outgrow it. Had anyone dealt with this and know any tricks that might work? It worries me because he picks himself quite often and makes himself bleed. Any advice is much appreciated.
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jodee24
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Wow that's a new one. Scratching goes with autism? It makes sense my daughter scratches her arms all the time. I was going nuts thinking it was allergies to something
silentdreamer
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM
I always knew it was a symptom of autism but I'm just not sure what to do about it. He had almost always done this, especially to his lips. He will pick them until they bleed.
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't believe the doctor didn't give any advice. I will ask my ABA therapist about this. I don't have this issue with my son but I often ask her questions that were asked on here to see what she says

silentdreamer
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Thank you. That's very kind of you.

Quoting JTMOM422:

I can't believe the doctor didn't give any advice. I will ask my ABA therapist about this. I don't have this issue with my son but I often ask her questions that were asked on here to see what she says

johnns
by Johnna on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Well, you can always find a new doc. Also, its that time of year- dry skin? It happens to a lot of us without being on the spectrum. So obviously try to keep skin & body hydrated. Might want to check into a dermatologist? Dry skin & scratching seems to be a condition in my home. Even my NT kids suffer. One has eczema, but he's 14 (NT) and its not so bad- has mostly grownvout of it and he's one out of 3 of my kids who doesn't have OCD- lol. But it still affects him in winter. Your right, that scratching can lead to open sores and get infected. Keep clean. How old is this child? Can you threaten mittens?
By the way, can't believe doc had no suggestions- he sucks! (sorry)
johnns
by Johnna on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Well, you can always find a new doc. Also, its that time of year- dry skin? It happens to a lot of us without being on the spectrum. So obviously try to keep skin & body hydrated. Might want to check into a dermatologist? Dry skin & scratching seems to be a condition in my home. Even my NT kids suffer. One has eczema, but he's 14 (NT) and its not so bad- has mostly grownvout of it and he's one out of 3 of my kids who doesn't have OCD- lol. But it still affects him in winter. Your right, that scratching can lead to open sores and get infected. Keep clean. How old is this child? Can you threaten mittens?
johnns
by Johnna on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM
johnns
by Johnna on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM
johnns
by Johnna on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Also, I'm a picker, my oldest NT son is a 'picker'. I'm 45 and still alive. I'm not saying its not gross- a little risky on infection, but I'm still here & healthy.
Distraction- its the best thing we've got with our kiddos.
HippoCat
by Hadley on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Have you thought about his diet? My son has always had somewhat itchy skin and he is now pretty much 100% gluten free and it seems like the itching has subsided for the most part. He's found some gluten filled goodies lately like gold fish and nutra- grain bars and he's itching like crazy again. Seems like every time he gets ahold of gluten now his system goes haywire. It is also worse in the winter like johnns said. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN