Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Suggestions needed! 3 baths a day

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM
  • 36 Replies
Ladies I need some help! My daughter is 2 and has become obsessive with taking baths. To the point where I get home from work (my coats not off yet) and she's pulling me to the bathroom for bath # 1. I tried fighting it once but she freaks out so much she ends up throwing up all over self (and gets a bath anyway). 3 is a lot and now she's been getting yeast infections. How do I distract her?
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jodee24
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Bump
Jodee24
Bump
Jodee24
Bump
Jodee24
🛀🛀🛀🛀🛀🛀🛀🛀🛀
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Hmmm.  I'm not sure.  My son has either been afraid of baths until I realized the temp was too hot to him even though to any other person it would have been fine.  Now he loves them and does ask for them at certain times, like he knows that will feel a certain need he is lacking to self regulate from his day.  So I go with it and just enjoy the clean boy.  But 3 a day is kind of a lot for you to have to do, especially if that all is from after school until bed, lol!  And the yeast infection is certainly the concern, related?  What does her doc say about yeast infection and baths, like could it be causing it or do you think she's wanting more baths because she has one and to make her feel better?  If she really can't get over it, you may want to try a visual schedule with her after school that shows your routine with one bath time card in it so she can see when it is bath time and when it is time to do something else.  Can she verbalize at all why she wants to many?

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Yeah, Im guessing her body needs the feel of the water--- weather it is because of the infections and it feels better or a sensory thing. Im guessing that if you let her for a bit, she will get tired of them. She is telling you what she needs... and the bigger fit she throws the more important it is to her.
Im thinking you set a timer for the bath.. she stays in til the timer goes off.. and then she gets out. If its 3, its 3. Im wondering what kind of sensory input the bath gives.(and rule out that it isnt based on her feeling better with infections in the bath). and see if you can stretch her into a different sensory activity that isnt so wet... lol..

jowen905
by Jan on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Would she be satisfied playing with toys in the sink.  Maybe it's the hand splashing that she enjoys?  My son went through a stage where he washed his hands all the time, to the point where they were red and starting to crack.  We had to monitor him and just order him out of the bathroom, eventually he stopped the over-washing (and moved onto a new habit! lol).

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Is it the chicken or the egg?

Is she getting yeast infections from too many baths or is she wanting to take so many baths because it is the only thing that makes her yeast infections feel better??? 

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:34 PM
What she said!!

I also wonder how you could find a less wet option if its sensory. Does she have an OT you can ask?

Poor girl :( infections are no fun

Quoting SamMom912:

Yeah, Im guessing her body needs the feel of the water--- weather it is because of the infections and it feels better or a sensory thing. Im guessing that if you let her for a bit, she will get tired of them. She is telling you what she needs... and the bigger fit she throws the more important it is to her.
Im thinking you set a timer for the bath.. she stays in til the timer goes off.. and then she gets out. If its 3, its 3. Im wondering what kind of sensory input the bath gives.(and rule out that it isnt based on her feeling better with infections in the bath). and see if you can stretch her into a different sensory activity that isnt so wet... lol..

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:42 PM
3 moms liked this

water is such a great sensory input.  Xavier loves bath time, swimming and the water table. We don't use a lot of water and sometimes we just turn the shower on. We discovered he does better with therapy if he has had a bath or went swimming before hand. We don't use soap, bubble bath or anything like that unless it's before bed. Dry off completely before getting dressed.

My oldest had an issue with uti and yeast infections then we discovered she wasn't drying herself off all the way before getting dressed after we got that fixed she hasn't had a problem since.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN