Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

introduction son screams alot

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:32 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hello , I'm silence81 I have 3 kids 6 , 4, 2 and my 6 year old in a nonverbal austic boy. I want to know how other moms deal with the screaming. my son screams a lot he is getting therapy at home and trying to start sign language.

by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I hope someone who deals with that can help. My son is not a screamer thank goodness!

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Welcome to the group. We have no experience with screaming however I know other Mom's here will have ideas.  My son was nonverbal for a long time, we started with sign language.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Well it is good that he learning sign language, hopefully you are too to be pro active in communicating with him.  Learning a language will help in calming down the screams and communicate instead.  I also suggest using a behavieral chart in helping him learn when he signs he gets rewarded for it.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Welcome to the group. Hugs mama.
mamatink7
by Franceska on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:41 PM

hes only screaming because hes frustrated how no one knows what he wants or needs. he needs sign language to start expressing himself better, then possibly a communication device (check out tobii.ait.com or dynavox.com) when he has better receptive understanding then he can handle that. 

i deal or dealt with screaming by screaming back (same way they did ahhhhhhhh or bahhhhhh) they dont know how loud or bad it sounds, if they hear it back to them they will gradually stop.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Welcome and hugs mama!  My son isn't a screamer but hopefully others will give you some advice!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I honestly have to try and block it out when I can. My son is verbal so we try and get him to say what he is wanting. We try to get him to understand to say "he's mad, sad, happy etc"

Krissyc75
by Kristin on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! My son was a screamer and a screecher. When we started speech therapy thats when it became less. I also recommend maybe gluten free diet that also helped calm him down. Hugs:)

oliveoil423
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:14 PM
My daughter is 15 months and she screams pretty loud. My husband brought up a good way ti deal with it we just ignore her if shes and throws a hissy fit we just put her to bed. We dont let tht happen in our house. Try it if it does work try another way of the screaming.
happyboy2
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:34 PM
I have a 2 year old son who screams cause he doesn't communicate. We have taught him sign language but that doesn't always help cause he will point but doesn't know how to sign a lot of object yet. He knows in sign language so far: eat, drink, more, thank you, sorry, nap, and all done but still gets signs mixed up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN