Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Exome Sequencing...is it worth the money?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:24 AM
  • 4 Replies

My 4-year-old has been referred for exome sequencing for analysis of his genes to see if they can identify a cause for his autism.  My insurance will pay 90 to 95% of the cost, which will leave me an out-of-pocket expense of $1,500.00.  Once I found this out, I questioned whether or not it was even worth getting this done.  Whether or not we get an answer to a cause for his autism, it won't give us a cure and it won't change anything about how he receives his therapies.  Maybe I'm wrong, but the way I look at it, I'm going to be paying $1,500.00 just to get a "yes" or "no" as to whether there is a cause for his autism.  That's it.  So my question is....does anyone else have experience with exome sequencing, and did you find it worth the money?

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM

It just wouldn't matter to me at this point...and I almost feel that it's another way for others to make money off of our children. I can't change what is and I feel that genes are genes , but look at how many children are autistic and not related. It just has to be so much more.

I don;t know...it's up to you and how important that information is to you.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:04 AM

No experiencing with this however we were referred for genetic testing.  I understand one of it's purposes is to determine treatment planning.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:43 PM

No experience and it wouldn't matter to me so I wouldn't spend that kind of money on it.  Good luck!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I have never heard of this. I wouldn't pay out of pocket. Like you said there is no cure so finding out what possibly have caused it does you no good

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN