Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Struggling

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:48 AM
  • 31 Replies
my son is 11 years old but he has a mentality of a 6-year-old. it's very frustrating at times when your 11 year old acts like a six year old. Don't get me wrong I love my son with all my heart but sometimes it's very frustrating and agitating to be around him. I know that he has the potentialto grow out of this. Do any of you moms have that problem with your children? another thing that concerns me is that he has no social skills. It seems like it's very hard for him to make friends and socialize with other people his age. I feel very sorry for my son. I really wish that he had friends he could talk to and play with but none of the other kids who are his age will not give him the time of day.
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Hi mama.   =)

My son will be 13 in April. While he is high functioniing and sometimes more mature than other 12 year olds I've seen, he also suffers terribly from lack of social skills to allow him to have honest to good friendships. I feel so sorry for him all day, every day, so I sure know where you're coming from.

My aggitating child is my just turned 17 year old daughter...but that's for another day. lol

Welcome   =)

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM
3 moms liked this

My son is 11 but plays better with younger groups too.  My son will probably always be a little "off", weird, quirky however those words can be used to describe me and many of my family and friends, lol.

We just keep teaching, modeling, exposing him to social situations.  It will come at his pace, not mine.  I am ok with that.  

It does sting that he doesn't get invited to many parties, etc.  He loves to talk about certain things over and over, my cousin's nursing home has a receptive audience of older folks who are willing to hear his stories over and over.  It's a matter of finding what works for our kids, finding his own fun and not waiting for the world to accept him/us.

Hang in there:)

jowen905
by Jan on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Hi and welcome!  I agree with "Jenibob" - my son is 12 and while I don't think he'll outgrow this, he'll learn to manage his behaviors and learn to self-regulate.  He's already made great strides in those areas.  His social skills are poor, too, and that's what hurts me the most.  I've just signed him up for a 12 week program for boys 12-18 to work on social skills - it's held at a local OT center.  Is there anything like that that you could get him involved with?  Does he have an IEP or 504 at school - do they have a social skills program that they can include him in?

Quoting Jenibob:

My son is 11 but plays better with younger groups too.  My son will probably always be a little "off", weird, quirky however those words can be used to describe me and many of my family and friends, lol.

We just keep teaching, modeling, exposing him to social situations.  It will come at his pace, not mine.  I am ok with that.  

It does sting that he doesn't get invited to many parties, etc.  He loves to talk about certain things over and over, my cousin's nursing home has a receptive audience of older folks who are willing to hear his stories over and over.  It's a matter of finding what works for our kids, finding his own fun and not waiting for the world to accept him/us.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Hello & welcome. My son is 8 & he acts more like he's 4. I know how difficult it can be. Hugs mama.
mamatink7
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:13 PM

more you get him into the public, better he will be for the future. he will never be typical, but more exp you give him he will more apt to pick up other behaviors-more appropriate to his age

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I have a 5 year old boy with ASD that is developmentally a 2-3 year old and a 5 year old girl with Downs that is developmentally 18-24 months, so yes, it is different than if they were peer level.  They are very behind their peers socially and academically but working on it all the time. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  My son is 5 years old with the mentality of a 12-18 month old, so I understand where you are coming from...I really do.  My son is completely nonverbal and has no interest in other children.  I just want my son to be happy and healthy.  That's all.

Soonermom41
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Jersygirl..ty for replying to my post =) its nice to know im not alone out there. It hurts to know you struggle with the same thing..but i hope we can support eachother n become good friends =)

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Hi mama.   =)

My son will be 13 in April. While he is high functioniing and sometimes more mature than other 12 year olds I've seen, he also suffers terribly from lack of social skills to allow him to have honest to good friendships. I feel so sorry for him all day, every day, so I sure know where you're coming from.

My aggitating child is my just turned 17 year old daughter...but that's for another day. lol

Welcome   =)

Soonermom41
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:19 PM
Jeni..ive taken action on finding a social group for him to be a part of. We meet with them once a month but i really want to find more fuctioning groups with kids his age to interact with. Hopefully ill find more =)

Quoting Jenibob:

Soonermom41
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Janine..ty so much for the hugs..i feel ya on the whole mentality issue. Its just something we have to accept n have faith that God takes care of the rest =)

Quoting wildchild.com: Hello & welcome. My son is 8 & he acts more like he's 4. I know how difficult it can be. Hugs mama.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)