Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Hoarding

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:44 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son has stopped making lines all over the house like he use to. Instead I am finding little "hiding" spots of toys. I move them and put them away and an hour or so later they are right back in the same spot, he is putting them in the hamper, under his bad, on the couch and in the bathtub. Do any of your children hoard their toys? Its not a huge problem, but I am afraid I am going to wash his toys (some have batteries) in the laundry or his little ones will go down the drain cause we do not have stoppers. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: He has calmed down on putting them in the Laundry basket and tub but I still find them under the bed and  on the couch. Instead he has gone back to lining them up and he carries around the same ones with him all day instead of hiding them. Someone mentioned a backpack? I think thats a great idea and my son loves his Elmo backpack so we have started using that if we go outside or on a road trip. Thank you for all your comments!

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  My son doesn't do that so I'm no help but good luck!

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd liked to fill her bags up with toys. Each little purse or bag would be filled to the top with an assortment of toys. I'd have to go in every week and empty them all out and reorganize her toys!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:11 PM

My son's collections vary but he likes to keep them too. He gets one container to fill, he puts extra special toys on his dresser, extras go in the play room. When the next obsession surfaces, we remove the old toys and use the same concept. We've been through matchbox cars, Bey blades, cards, figures, it's always changing. We're just glad it's usually small items!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 1, 2014 at 5:03 AM

Actually my daughter used to do that and she isn't autistic...just a slob lol. My boys don't like messes but they do collect things.

terri-553
by Terri on Feb. 1, 2014 at 7:46 AM

Thomas g/son he carries back-packs full of things,Sales ads,Thomas The Tank Engine/etc,So yep I hear you.

strmrayne
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 8:09 AM
My son hoards toys but he only puts them in his bed and behind his bed. We have four boys and he is a twin so I think he does it to ensure that nobody gets his favorites. I wish I had some advice. I really have no clue how to stop it.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

He may also be loading his bed with toys and stuffies because of poor body awareness. If the bed is full he can feel pressure of things on his body and knows where his body is. It helps his mind to relax knowing where his body is in soace.. Which is a huge issue for anyone with sensory issues. :) it may help to tuck him tighly in at night, or use a weighted blanket or just a few pillows on each side. :) if he is also worried aout the toys, and you get to a point where your uncomfy letting him sleep with skmething (pointy dangerous) you could create a safe zone where no one can touch his stuff.. :) 

Quoting strmrayne: My son hoards toys but he only puts them in his bed and behind his bed. We have four boys and he is a twin so I think he does it to ensure that nobody gets his favorites. I wish I had some advice. I really have no clue how to stop it.

shell3m
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Actually my older middle son does this and he's not autistic. I think its just a faze some kids go through....and i have no idea how to stop it. Garrett just out grew it. :)
shugerbit
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
My son does that, he does it with candy, Binkys, pieces of cardboard be cause he loves to chew cardboard, and other things I don't usually give him. He is nonverbal so I think he hides them from me because he will know where they are and he knows he can't ask for them. I have found spots in the drawer under the stove, under my bed, in the you box.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Hello welcome my son doesn't hoard but he's constantly misplacing his toys.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN