Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How many of you

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:11 PM
  • 57 Replies

Are in therapy and take medication to deal with stress and anxiety? 

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM
4 moms liked this

I've struggled with anxiety my whole life but have never been in therapy or take any medication. This might sound cheesey but I find spending time in prayer and reading the bible helps. Also my husband  understands my anxiety and that I stress out easily so he helps out a lot and gives me time to myself. Some days are better than others, the worst was when I was pregnat with Jackson. 

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I have done both in the past. Honestly neither really helped that much, but I was treated for depression, not anxiety. The one med that did help was trazadone .... it was given to me for insomnia but I found out its actually an anti-anxiety but a side effect is sleepiness so I think it actually doubly helped by reducing my anxiety. I've tried therapy several times and I'm always so self-conscious that I think the therapist is judging me, then there's just another person in my life judging me. :(

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I have anxiety...ever since my son was born.  I do take one medication to help with it, but I don't go to therapy.  I have in the past but not currently.  I spend time in prayer and reading my Bible to help as well.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I dont go to therapy, but did when my MIL was dying (inoperable brain tumor) to deal with some stuff, since I never had a mom until her and I was having a really hard time with it... Anyway, that was about 4 years before Sam was born. I stress out easy, but I dont take meds, when Sam was 4, I tried Lexapro after Sam was Xd and I lost a friend (we were very close and had a huge falling out) since I was having a hard time.. But after 3 months I stopped as I didnt like it.

sams psychologist has suggested that I should take meds to help me handle Sam better... Since she doesnt want me medicating him... But at this point neither one of us is comfortable with that. 

I wanted to add that I NEED to go to the gym..i need it for the endorphins and happy feelings, Too many days away from the gym and Im a basket case! 

johnns
by Johnna on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:19 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm not being treated, but probably should be! Hahaha
jowen905
by Jan on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I've never been in therapy, but I do take Prozac for anxiety and panic disorder.  I stopped it for a couple of months (with doctor's instructions) to see if I really needed it anymore - I hate to take a prescription to make me "feel like myself", but after a couple of weeks I was having panic attacks again and finally gave up and went back on it.  I'm pretty much genetically predisposed to anxiety issues, and unfortunately that got passed on to my ds!

Linda733
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:27 PM

I'm actually in therapy and was prescribed an anti depressant along with anxiety meds. I was put on trazadone before for insomnia and I had to stop taking it because it made me feel horrible and I mornings would be rough because I would headaches from it. 

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

I have done both in the past. Honestly neither really helped that much, but I was treated for depression, not anxiety. The one med that did help was trazadone .... it was given to me for insomnia but I found out its actually an anti-anxiety but a side effect is sleepiness so I think it actually doubly helped by reducing my anxiety. I've tried therapy several times and I'm always so self-conscious that I think the therapist is judging me, then there's just another person in my life judging me. :(

Linda733
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I also have anxiety and take medication to help with it. I am currently seeing a therapist but its hard to work it into my busy schedule. Once I feel better and get passed some issues I'm going to stop going. I will probably continue the medication and just take it as needed like I do now. 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I have anxiety...ever since my son was born.  I do take one medication to help with it, but I don't go to therapy.  I have in the past but not currently.  I spend time in prayer and reading my Bible to help as well.

Linda733
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I wouldn't dream of medicating my son under any circumstances. I stand firm on that. For myself however, I suffer from anxiety and some depression and do take medication for both. It has helped a lot. I do see a therapist which helps but I don't think I'm going to keep going for much longer. I also work out after my husband leaves for work so its between 4am-5am. 

Quoting SamMom912:

I dont go to therapy, but did when my MIL was dying (inoperable brain tumor) to deal with some stuff, since I never had a mom until her and I was having a really hard time with it... Anyway, that was about 4 years before Sam was born. I stress out easy, but I dont take meds, when Sam was 4, I tried Lexapro after Sam was Xd and I lost a friend (we were very close and had a huge falling out) since I was having a hard time.. But after 3 months I stopped as I didnt like it.

sams psychologist has suggested that I should take meds to help me handle Sam better... Since she doesnt want me medicating him... But at this point neither one of us is comfortable with that. 

I wanted to add that I NEED to go to the gym..i need it for the endorphins and happy feelings, Too many days away from the gym and Im a basket case! 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Not me but I know I should really look into something for anxiety.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)