Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Spoke too soon

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Jen
  • 13 Replies
Idk if it's school or what but Liam's been kind of a mess.

Like after school he's just falling apart over little things. Like the sun in his eyes, the iPad battery losing power and a tiny scratch on his finger that I can barely see. I'm talking full on crying tantrums.

And today he would barely let me leave him at school. He was so anxious. Usually I stay a few minutes to help that transition but today he just didn't want me to leave. At all. I think I stayed 45 mins before he let me go without years.

And just when I thought he was doing great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 31, 2014 at 6:07 AM

He sounds like me when I'm overwhelmed...D does that too and EVERY year since he has been in school, we have noticed a "Winter shutdown"...lol...It's almost as if he just can't do another day of it.

If he isn't stressed out, he seems more bored than usual, too. Sigh.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 31, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Hugs mama...he does sound overwhelmed.  I'm sorry!

johnns
by Johnna on Jan. 31, 2014 at 6:48 AM
Hang in there momma! I bet its just the time of year. Thank goodness its the last day of January! Hopefully February can go by quickly, and before we know it, spring will be here.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Could he be getting sick? Could he be overtired? Could it be a growth spurt (have you noticed more food recently?) do you think he is overwhelemed? Do you think he needs some down time? Can you ask him? 

im so sorry he is having a hard time... It sucks... It really does. maybe you guys could make a nest? sam LOVED that! He asked If we could print it out. :) 

shell3m
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:02 AM
Dean has a regression period every three months that lasts almost two weeks and he's over sensitive. Lights and sounds will make him have more meltdowns and he doesn't like being around people and refuses to do school work.
jowen905
by Jan on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:46 AM

And he'll do great again....sometimes it's like a see saw.  Very frustrating, though, but don't give up.  Keep doing what you're doing.  You're doing a great job!

jennymoon4
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:17 AM
OMG, I swear I live in fear of the I-pad battery dying! It's sadly one big stressor. I'm constantly sneaking around & plugging it in at any opportunity.

I'm sorry Liam is having a hard time. My daughter does some of those same things more when she is getting sick, growing, all the things SamMom mentioned above. Once that resolves, she returns to her usual self.
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:06 AM
He's not acting sick. But this morning my tummy feels kinda queasy. I hope that's not a sign we are getting sick. But he's been acting this way since Tuesday. And it's most only after school.
I don't think he's overtired. He sleeps in as long as he wants. But school gets out at 4:00 so maybe he is tired by then. And I have no clue about the growth spurt. He is eating the same as usual; nothing in the morning and everything at night.

We need to make a nest!

Quoting SamMom912:

Could he be getting sick? Could he be overtired? Could it be a growth spurt (have you noticed more food recently?) do you think he is overwhelemed? Do you think he needs some down time? Can you ask him? 

im so sorry he is having a hard time... It sucks... It really does. maybe you guys could make a nest? sam LOVED that! He asked If we could print it out. :) 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:16 AM
I know me too! We were on our way home and had finally settled down with the iPad. Then it died! And he just broke down into a heap of sobs. Poor kid.

Quoting jennymoon4: OMG, I swear I live in fear of the I-pad battery dying! It's sadly one big stressor. I'm constantly sneaking around & plugging it in at any opportunity.

I'm sorry Liam is having a hard time. My daughter does some of those same things more when she is getting sick, growing, all the things SamMom mentioned above. Once that resolves, she returns to her usual self.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Sorry he's having a hard time. My son's transition home from school yesterday and today have been rough. I could blame the calamity days throwing his schedule off but he was doing this before the days off. I have no answers, just hugs because after school meltdowns are a problem here too. Let's hope this shall pass real soon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)